AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post and looks like a fine place to be!

Can someone possibly educate me a little as far as the difference and what to use as far as a toslink connection or a digital coax connection? Are they the same thing?

I am looking to upgrade my connection from my DVD player (Toshiba sd2800) to my Rcvr(Yamaha HTR5460) and my replay tv to my receiver - it is not currently using the "digital" connections it is capable of. I just don't know what to use, and even if there is a difference between toslink and digital coax connections.....

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
251 Posts
This issue can be something of a hot button. A lot of people believe that coax vs. optical makes a huge difference, and others believe it does not. Even after you pick between the two, the arguing is not over, because a lot of people believe there is a vast difference between different coaxial calbes, or between different optical cables. However, I would say that with your system, the choice of cable is not going to make any difference in the quality of transmission or the quality of sound. These cables do not need to be expensive. I don't think the last two statements are controversial, even amongst the believers.

You can use the search function to find information, as this topic is always being argued about. In particular, try to find some of Tom Bombadil's posts about digital cables and double-blind tests.

Tim

·
Registered
711 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The connectors are not the same, but their function is. They both convey a digital bitstream from the player to the decoder in the receiver. There is much debate as to which is better, the bottom line is they both work fine.

You should use whatever you have available. If you don't have a Toslink cable you'll need to go buy one, while an ordinary RCA patch cable can be used for the digital coax connector. You'll need to read through the manual for your reciever and learn how to assign the digital inputs to the source you want to use them with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the insight on this matter. I will search the sight for information on this subject also, since it seems to be a subject of debate. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I've had bad luck with plastic toslink sounding harsh and bright.

I've had bad luck with ground loops using coax, but the sound is better.

Glass toslink is quite good, as long as your components have reasonable quality transmitters and receivers.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
There is a lot of info on here just do a search and you will find many threads debating the two. It boils down to though that in most cases you won't tell much of a difference (if any). If you have great ears and a very high end sound system it becomes more of an issue.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi and welcome,

I have not niticed a difference in quality of transmission and i use both side by side.

Optical however is more fragile and dont't point the shiny end in your eye, it can damage your sight.

Peter m.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.