AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any benefit from purchasing the Emotiva XPA-5 compared to purchased a XPA-2 and XPA-3?

Obviously, one con is using up more space. Are there any positives in going with one setup v the other?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Are there any positives in going with one setup v the other?

More power available wrt XPA-2/XPA-3 vs the XPA-5. That is really it!

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Question though, Why not just the XPA-3 for the main speakers and something smaller for the surrounds that seldom need that much power?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/15483473

Question though, Why not just the XPA-3 for the main speakers and something smaller for the surrounds that seldom need that much power?

I was going to by the XPA-5 to power my 5 speakers and use the Onkyo to power the other 2 (7.1 setup). I guess I can get a 3 and use the Onkyo to power the surrounds and rear.

They are sold out of the XPA-5 so I was thinking of getting the 3-2 combo but I may just get the 3.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you listen to a lot of two channel music the XPA-2/3 combo is awesome. I used that for about 4 months and then upgraded to the XPA-1's for my front mains....only because I have always wanted mono-blocks....

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The XPA-2 does have the LED Power level meters, but there isn't much of a functional difference between a XPA-2/3 combo and the XPA-5. The XPA-2 does double power into 4 ohm speakers though, so it might be a better choice if you have some truly power hungry speakers like electrostatics.

You might want to consider the MPS-2 (x7 200 wpc) if you are looking at a XPA-2/3 combo though. Price isn't much higher and it will take up significantly less space.

Of course the UPA-7 is on sale for just $550. While it isn't the most powerful amp around there's been a number of people raving about it and at least one of them was using electrostatic speakers, which are quite power hungry.

·
Registered
207 Posts
2 XPA3's come in at just over 1 grand. The MPS2 is nice amp, I have its little brother the IPS1 and like it very well. Look for one used unless you have the itch to buy now.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats /forum/post/15484147

The XPA-2 does have the LED Power level meters, but there isn't much of a functional difference between a XPA-2/3 combo and the XPA-5. The XPA-2 does double power into 4 ohm speakers though, so it might be a better choice if you have some truly power hungry speakers like electrostatics.

You might want to consider the MPS-2 (x7 200 wpc) if you are looking at a XPA-2/3 combo though. Price isn't much higher and it will take up significantly less space.

Of course the UPA-7 is on sale for just $550. While it isn't the most powerful amp around there's been a number of people raving about it and at least one of them was using electrostatic speakers, which are quite power hungry.

I guess another option would be to get a XPA-3 (Mains) and a UPA-7 (Rears and Surrounds). Then I will use my Onkyo 876 100% as a pre/pro.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 /forum/post/15484653

I guess another option would be to get a XPA-3 (Mains) and a UPA-7 (Rears and Surrounds). Then I will use my Onkyo 876 100% as a pre/pro.

How about saving some money? Buy the XPA-3 and let the Onkyo do the rest? I doubt you'd notice much difference. Or buy the UPA-7 first and see if you even need/want the XPA-3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts