AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:

I have a newer home with 16 dedicated cat6 lines. The way these are situated is in the closet its....dsl to router to 16 switch then to (8lines) upstairs and (8lines) downstairs. Being a noobie I thought I could setup (2) access points, one upstairs and one downstairs and still be able to connect to just one network. Learned that you can only use (1) access point.

Then I tried just boosting the signal with a 15 dbi antenna connection out of the access point. That worked better, but I still only get good to average signals upstiars......and if I swap, then downstairs is affected.

I was thinking this. I have 14 tv locations thoughout the house, 60% i dont use, each with (2) coaxials. Im not really using the other line at the moment, maybe later if I add cameras. Could I setup the access point say down stairs and route its antenna output (TNC) connector to the other coaxial line that I'm not using. Then use a splitter to say have (3) coaxil lines and attach a router type antenna to those (3) spots. I'm having trouble finding a "male tnc to male coaixial adapter" to work with the router type female tnc antennas.

It sound like it would work, does anyone have any info on something like this? The (2) access points dosent work because you can only have one reciever at a time, but if Im expanding the areas of the signal would it work this way? Sorry for the rambling, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jonathan

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I kind of went the cheapy route especially afte buying the new house. I got (2) Airlink 101 AP431W from fry's for $50. Some of the other access point were over $100+ a piece. Well any suggestions on how to do this. I know each AP has to have its own ip address, but when i configure them correctly for (2) ap, my wireless notebook adapter which is a netgear, finds conflict with the (2) signals. If I disable (1) it connects perfectly. Thanks for any help you can provide along with a different company's AP to try.

** note ** I disabled the router antenna signal in the closet and the AP is connected directly to a Lan line faceplate.

·
Registered
535 Posts
We have good luck using the Netgear RangeMax line of WAPs, specifically the WPN802. You should configure them for the same SSID, and you should be able to seamlessly roam between the two WAPs without issue.

I'm not familiar with the WAPs you purchased.

Good luck!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have to configure them for WDS?

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Hi

Look at a LinkSys WAP54G. Not the fanciest unit in the world but I've had a bunch of them and they seem to work fine.

I have three in my home now, one on each level. When setting them up you will need (at least that is what I have been told by LinkSys) to set each for a unique, non-overlapping channel. So for three units you would use 1, 6 and 11.

While I have them configured as Access Points I could also configure two of them as Wireless Repeaters for the first. To be honest I don't know which approach is "correct" but I have tried it both ways and both ways work but I really don't see a difference.

One question I have gotten conflicting answers too is setting the SSID when you have multiple access points. One LinkSys person said they should all be the same, another said they should all be unique. Mine are unique and it works that way for me. One "advantage" of unique SSIDs is that, when connecting, I can see the signal strength for each unit. If they were all the same I don't know what you would see, the signal from the strongest one? According to MikeB they should be the same so you can roam but since I don't roam that isn't an issue. Perhaps I will try setting them all the same and see how that works.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use the AMX versions ( ebay) Far better then my Linksys and about the same money. I have them set for 2 different channels and can go anywhere in my 3 story house fron porch or rear deck. Even the un attached Carriage house is strong. I have on on the Top Floor and 1 on the main floor. Nothing in the basement except the router. The AMX version never hiccups.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts