AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had built a computer for my sister consisting of older spare parts I had laying around.

The computer uses Media Center Edition 05 and consists of an old Amd athalon xp1800 160gig hd and 1 gig of ram.

For video it uses a basic older Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 with DVI and dvd rom.

My tv is a two year old 30" JVC HD CRT tv.

The other day before I gave it to her my ht Lg dvb418 had to be sent out for repair so I decided to use the computer to watch my dvd's.

It looked the better than any ht dvd player I have used ranging from the Zenith dvb318 to the Yamaha dvd-c950.

The computer is set at 720P and the other HT players were set at 1080i.

My question is why is this so?

The computer only uses entry level older parts and the ht dvd players I've used have supposed to have been some of the best.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimateherts /forum/post/12985482

The computer is set at 720P and the other HT players were set at 1080i.

My question is why is this so?
Why is the computer at 720p and not 1080i? Or do you mean why does it look better?

The first question is pretty simple, because it's set at 720p

The second question is fairly simple as well--computers seem to be a good bit better at things like deinterlacing and post-processing than a DVD player. One reason is just look at the processing power. I suppose stand-alone players have dedicated hardware, purpose-designed to playback DVDs, but computer CPUs, even an Athlon XP 1800 is probably still a bit more powerful than anything you'd find in a stand-alone. Combine that with the fact that hardware acceleration features built into most video cards for MPEG-2 have pretty much everything a DVD player would have anyway. Also with software and drivers being updated all the time (as opposed to the DVD player which has it's firmware designed long before the player was even introduced to market and usually un-upgradable) improvements can always be implemented. So where stand-alone players can have flaws that are permanent (look at the old "chroma bug" for example), these things can be fixed or improved upon in computer software and driver updates, if they were ever present to begin with.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where I really noticed the difference was on 4:3 material like tv shows. They just looked very good as to so so with a ht dvd player. I'm really thinking about building one for myself with all new components such as hdmi and the lg combo drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts