AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new house and mounting a new TV above the fireplace (would rather not get into discussion of fireplace vs no fireplace mounting, etc - this is the only feasible place for it) .. Our installer recommends a 65" for the space, but I'm thinking a 75" (Sony XBR75X850C). I'm attaching a picture of the room/wall (ignore furniture/speakers you see - picture is from prior owners and is not our stuff). We'll be seated around 13ft-14ft away. The spacing between the windows is 72" - the width of the Sony is 66", so there would only be about 3" of space on either side - wider than the fireplace mantle.

Would a 75" in this space look ridiculous? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think you're only issue might be the height of the TV if you plan on watching 3d content...you generally want the center of the tv to be at seated eye height..but hey to each their own...I would place the tv on the perpendicular wall to the right where that painting is in the photo but at eye height..Im guessing that cabinet isnt staying anyway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you're only issue might be the height of the TV if you plan on watching 3d content...you generally want the center of the tv to be at seated eye height..but hey to each their own...I would place the tv on the perpendicular wall to the right where that painting is in the photo but at eye height..Im guessing that cabinet isnt staying anyway.
The problem with that is there is a wall of windows on the opposite wall, and being it's the main living area of the house, we aren't going to blackout the windows or have to keep opening and closing all of them. The glare would be way too much with the TV directly opposite a wall of daylight.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yea hard to say. Personally the first thing I thought of before reading your entire thread and only looking at the picture and title first is that the 75" would be great on that wall where the armoire is currently. Are you not going to have blinds on those windows that you could just close easy enough when watching tv? But if your set on above the fireplace maybe split the difference between the 65 and 75" TV's and go with a nice 70" 4k? That may give you a little more room on the sides and still be a nice big TV? But I do recommend getting some cardboard or something and making a mockup of different sizes and putting them up to get a sense of what they will look like before purchasing anything. Have you thought about how your going to cable it above the fireplace?

·
Registered
663 Posts
+1 for building a mockup before buying anything.
Personally, I wouldn't exceed the width of the mantel with the TV's width, but that's just me. Viewing distance-wise you're fine with 75".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts