AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do a run of approx 40-50' for my subwoofer. Most cables I've seen are basically audio interconnects, I haven't seen longer than about 24', and don't think they mentioned anything about being in-wall rated. Any suggestions on how to do this? I might even do runs to a couple locations since I have no idea where it will sound best, so price might be a consideration.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I might even do runs to a couple locations since I have no idea where it will sound best, so price might be a consideration.

I have the same issue. Looking forward to confirmation. Other threads on this subject have suggested running shielded RG6 coax to the expected location(s). Any more info on this folks?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that was my first thought. Someone suggested that I do the same thing for a long component video cable and digital audio cable run that I need. I'm planning on using the RG6 and these RCA connectors. Well, it depends how the cables will connect to the wall jacks, but that's the basic idea. I just don't know if there's anything different about a subwoofer that would prevent me from doing the same thing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I use a 35 foot long RG6 cable from Belden with Canare RCA ends to run through my drop ceiling to a wall jack. From there, I have a 20 foot Monster subwoofer cable. Seems to work great for me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Wulgaru
I use a 35 foot long RG6 cable from Belden with Canare RCA ends to run through my drop ceiling to a wall jack. From there, I have a 20 foot Monster subwoofer cable. Seems to work great for me.
Cool. That probably answers another question I've had... do the RCA wall jacks have female RCA inputs (I guess "female input" is redundant?) on both sides? I've looked at some at PartsExpress and SmartHome and it's kinda hard to tell from the pics.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're welcome... and thanks! I hadn't seen that one yet, just the ones that are already attached to the wall plate. But the ones in your link are what I really want anyway... Gracias.

Hopefully I can find more color coding choices, looks like they have the standard red white and yellow, I'll be using them for component video, a digital audio connection and at least one subwoofer connection... although I'm sure I can keep them straight somehow.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That thread that jstorerj linked to above mentions speakers with built-in subs, which I've listened to before and might consider buying in the future for the room I'm getting ready to pre-wire. I seriously doubt I'll have four, but I'm not quite clear on how they get connected.

Do they each have a separate subwoofer input (separate from the normal speaker wire inputs)? I'll probably put my subwoofer near one of the front corners of the room, which will be fairly close to one of the front speakers. So if I run a subwoofer cable to each corner, will I be set for wiring either one standalone subwoofer in either location, or two front speakers with built-in subs (or, possibly, two standalones)? Is that when I'd use the Y-adapter at the receiver?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.