AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be building my own projection screen which will probably be somewhere between 120" and 140" diagonal. I came across this website and I am wondering if the materials they sell are good quality.

I will be purchasing either an Optoma HD20 or something very similar. My basement is not very light controlled, but it isn't extremely bright. I was looking at the 140" high contrast gray screen material for $124.

I do not know what brand this is...will it look good?

(sorry, i am pretty new to all this stuff)

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
thats pretty cheap for that much material i dont know...

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
It's very cheap apparently. I have no experience with it, but there was a note on this forum from someone who tried it and said it had too much sheen. For a 1.0 screen, it shouldn't have any sheen. You might try to get a swatch and test it out. True screen material usually has some fiberglass in it and this apparently does, so it might be the real thing.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soules75 /forum/post/18175646

I am going to be building my own projection screen which will probably be somewhere between 120" and 140" diagonal. I came across this website and I am wondering if the materials they sell are good quality.

I will be purchasing either an Optoma HD20 or something very similar. My basement is not very light controlled, but it isn't extremely bright. I was looking at the 140" high contrast gray screen material for $124.

I do not know what brand this is...will it look good?

(sorry, i am pretty new to all this stuff)

You may want to take a look at the screen size calculator on projector central. http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

140 is kind of a big screen for that Projector in a non light controlled room.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen that calculator, and i realize that 140" is pretty darn big. I was hoping to go at least 120". I guess it is just my thinking that if I am going to get a projector, I want to go big.

I am basically looking for a screen solution that will do the optoma hd20 justice. I would like to have a screen for $200 or less if possible, which is why I was attracted to the materials on the website above. This would be going in my basement, so I would like a fixed screen that looks nice. If anyone has any suggestions I am open.

The more I look into it, the more it sounds like painting a screen may be the way to go.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soules75 /forum/post/18178838

The more I look into it, the more it sounds like painting a screen may be the way to go.

Check out my 144" BOC Screen thread...The HD20 will handle a large screen. I have a Mits HC3800 with around the same brightness as the HD20 and use it in low lamp mode on my large screen, and you can see by the pics that it does well even in that mode with the RS_MaxxMudd_LL.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1218944

1 - 6 of 6 Posts