AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on building a mythtv box and had a few quick questions.

A. Is it possible to view/record encrypted HD content when using a comcast cable box.

B. If not, are there any tuners that will allow me to receive HD content (quam) native to Linux? So I wouldn't have to use an external cable box?

· Registered
17 Posts
1) Not easily unless you have a firewire capable cablebox, then yes.

2) Absolutely! A lot of people run QAM tuners with MythTV.

If you are going to be starting to use MythTV, might I suggest that you check out the wiki. It may save you time in finding answers in the future. Obviously people are willing to help by providing answers in forums, on IRC, etc, but sometimes it can be easier/quicker if you know where to look it up. Fortunately, MythTV is reasonably well documented, especially compared to many FLOSS projects.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions

Hope that helps!

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's guys. What I am looking to do is migrate from my existing/****** comcast DVR to a standard comcast HD box + a mythtv box and still be able to get all of my existing HD content.

Also, I'd like to go QAM but it looks like comcast started encrypting everything but the basic network channels. What would be the easiest and/or cost effective way to do this?

· Registered
566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocZZZZ /forum/post/16853169

Thanks for the reply's guys. What I am looking to do is migrate from my existing/****** comcast DVR to a standard comcast HD box + a mythtv box and still be able to get all of my existing HD content.

Also, I'd like to go QAM but it looks like comcast started encrypting everything but the basic network channels. What would be the easiest and/or cost effective way to do this?

The encrypted channels are still QAM, just encrypted. Sorry to say the most cost effective way to get encrypted QAM from cableco is probably their dvr. There's always Tivo HD, but it's limited and certainly not cost effective.

· Registered
157 Posts
Or there is the HD-PVR option. Currently, I have a Myth box w/ two HDHomeRuns that I use strictly for OTA.

I'm looking at the HD-PVR. but it's not supported till MythTV 0.22. I got tired of waiting for 0.22 to be released, so, I'm currently running 0.22 trunk weekly build, and so far, it's stable. If it continues to be stable for another week or two, I'm going to go for the HD-PVR. I'll trade in my (really crappy) Comcast HD DVR for a Comcast HD cable box (no DVR) and move to the HD-PVR. As someone else mentioned, the HD-PVR goes for $239 list price, and from what I've seen, occasionally Dell will offer it for as little as $149 w/ a coupon and a rebate. I'll probably snap up a pair of them the next time Dell runs the special.

-Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.