AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a older non HDMI onkyo 504 receiver and its set up as follows to my HTPC:

HDMI out (from PC with 780G mobo) => 720p Projector

Optical Out (from PC)=> Onkyo 504

For BR movies, I let my receiver decode the audio to DTS (using SPDif) since I don't have HDMI receiver. So far so good but I'm still missing out on hi-def audio and plus I'm assuming HDMI would give me better audio over optical

My new AVR is the Pioneer 1018 (fully supports all hi-def audio) so my setup would be :

Single HDMI out (from PC)=> Pio 1018

PJ will be connected directly to the Pio in this case now.

Questions

1) With my new AVR, will I be able to pass the hi-def audio from my HTPC and letting the receiver decode it to TrueHD? I have a 780g based mobo with onboard 3200 card.

2) Will standard DD, DTS off standard DVD's sound better over HDMI?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster /forum/post/15414410

Questions

1) With my new AVR, will I be able to pass the hi-def audio from my HTPC and letting the receiver decode it to TrueHD? I have a 780g based mobo with onboard 3200 card.

2) Will standard DD, DTS off standard DVD's sound better over HDMI?

Thanks

1) Bitstreaming the HD codecs hasn't really be worked out yet in an HTPC. You are most likely going to have to have the HTPC decode the stream and send it out via LPCM. This should mean no real difference in the audio quality. The only problem is PDVD and TMT both downsample to 96KHz, which will be virtually inaudible to the average user with anything but a super high end system, of which the 1018 doesn't qualify (even though it is a very fine piece of equipment

2) No, there won't be any difference. The signal is still being sent as 1's and 0's. Though your 1018 may very well sound better than your old machine, it will not be due to passing S/P dif over HDMI

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.