AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just landed a new Onkyo TX-SR 805 off of ebay and have a question/concern. Apparently this was a unit bought new for a home theater but the guy's plans fell through. My concern is he's stating it was purchased through a reseller and the unit does not have a warranty. I haven't paid for the unit yet and I'm rethinking this purchase. Again he states it's brand new, there's pictures of the unit that were taken and he has a 100% reseller rating. I'm just concerned that what if something happens to the unit once I receive it then I'm SOL. I've skimmed through the 805 owners thread and have read of people having a unit just crap out on them for whatever reason.

What's everyone think?

·
Registered
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudiepoo1 /forum/post/15495327

So I just landed a new Onkyo TX-SR 805 off of ebay and have a question/concern. Apparently this was a unit bought new for a home theater but the guy's plans fell through. My concern is he's stating it was purchased through a reseller and the unit does not have a warranty. I haven't paid for the unit yet and I'm rethinking this purchase. Again he states it's brand new, there's pictures of the unit that were taken and he has a 100% reseller rating. I'm just concerned that what if something happens to the unit once I receive it then I'm SOL. I've skimmed through the 805 owners thread and have read of people having a unit just crap out on them for whatever reason.

What's everyone think?

Many companies don't offer warranties unless you purchased through an authorized dealer. If the seller can provide a receipt from an authorized seller, you *may* be OK. But otherwise, you may have this issue hanging over you.

Other option, if warranty from Onkyo isn't valid/transferrable, is to add a warranty from Squaretrade.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I'd say a third-party warranty is your safest bet, either Square Trade or otherwise. I'm an SR805 owner and love the performance, but they are a bit prone to failure. I still recommend it to those looking for a unit geared more towards audio quality than video features, but it's not one I myself would not purchase without some type of warranty protection.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the thing, he purchased this unit through a resaler so there is not warranty, but is a brand new unit. I guess I'm taking a chance obviously I'm just unsure. I landed the unit for $640 including shipping and I know I can get a new 806 for this price. I don't need the upconverting and I'm aware of the 805's superior Burr Brown DAC's and beefier power supply compared to the 806.....that's the reason I jumped on this deal. But now if for some reason I would have to try and go buy a warranty for the unit this changes everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by eitakura /forum/post/15495413

Many companies don't offer warranties unless you purchased through an authorized dealer. If the seller can provide a receipt from an authorized seller, you *may* be OK. But otherwise, you may have this issue hanging over you.

Other option, if warranty from Onkyo isn't valid/transferrable, is to add a warranty from Squaretrade.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Since you bought it through eBay then you should be able to buy a Square Trade warranty pretty cheap... like maybe $50 for 1 year, $80 for 2. That pushes up the cost, but when you won the item that was a commitment to buy it... adding the warranty is just the safest way to proceed since you've committed to buying the unit.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you decide to keep the unit, be sure to check the 805 thread to check your firmware levels and get them up to date. Tons of info in the 805 thread.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info on that Andrew. My biggest hope right now is that it's not a lemon. I don't even have my speakers yet so I have no way of testing it other then powering it on/off. I'm really looking forward to what this receiver has to offer. My very first receiver was a Onkyo Integra DTR-7 way back in the day. Then as all of us do I got the upgrade bug and went through three more upgrades and eventually departed with a Denon AVR-5803. I've been without setup for some years now and it's been a long time coming

·
Registered
487 Posts
The TX-SR805 is a fantastic receiver. Audyssey MultiEQ XT is a great room correction system if you've never used it before.

You might try resetting to factory defaults while you're waiting for speakers...

Quote:
press the VCR/DVR and Standby buttons at the same time (on the receiver, not the remote) and the LED display will display "Clear", the receiver will power down, and you're back to factory defaults

Then head over to the firmware update thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016297

here is the zip file with all firmware updates and instructions
http://rapidshare.com/files/16295691...updatesISO.zip

First thing you want to verify is your bootloader version. If it's 1.00, you have to get a dongle to upgrade it - PM alikob and he should still be selling them for $5. If it's 1.01 you're good to go.

Check Your existing Main firmware version:

=> Turn on Your unit, push & hold "Display", press "Standby", release buttons

This way, there's no left over crust when you get your speakers hooked up and it's fully updated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd say you definitely want a warranty.

I bought my refurb for $240 less from Shop Onkyo and it lasted 1 week before it popped a couple times and went up in smoke. I called them and they said they would send out the mailing label, and then cross ship another when fedex showed it was on the way. Took a week to get a label, then they didn't cross ship, so I just told them to give me a refund. I went on vacation for a week and came back to an email (from the day before) asking if a black one would be ok as they were out of silver and would ship it out that day. No refund. Not thinking I said black was fine, then the next day I asked if it had shipped as I wanted the money. I figured it already shipped, but three days later I get a response that it still hadn't shipped and I would be offered a refund. It's only been four days, but I'm still waiting. Not the best customer service I've ever dealt with, but from reading all the Onkyo threads that seems to be the norm.

(I asked for the refund not due to the quality, but because I just wasn't blown away by it like most others. Just didn't have the warmth I was looking for. But, as I stated in another thread, since it did die it could have been screwed up.)

I've been waiting for years for HK to get their act together. . . which they haven't so I think I'm going to try a Denon 2809 now.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome - thanks man! I've never had a receiver with any sort of room correction so this should be nice. This receiver has never been used before so all factory defaults should already be in order but I'll verify. I'm looking forward to becoming acquainted with an Onkyo again.

Now if I could make my mind up on some speakers I'd be set

Regarding obtaining a warranty, how would I go about doing this? I haven't paid for the receiver yet so is there something on ebay relating to purchasing the warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 /forum/post/15497967

The TX-SR805 is a fantastic receiver. Audyssey MultiEQ XT is a great room correction system if you've never used it before.

You might try resetting to factory defaults while you're waiting for speakers...

Then head over to the firmware update thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016297

here is the zip file with all firmware updates and instructions
http://rapidshare.com/files/16295691...updatesISO.zip

First thing you want to verify is your bootloader version. If it's 1.00, you have to get a dongle to upgrade it - PM alikob and he should still be selling them for $5. If it's 1.01 you're good to go.

Check Your existing Main firmware version:

=> Turn on Your unit, push & hold "Display", press "Standby", release buttons

This way, there's no left over crust when you get your speakers hooked up and it's fully updated.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just bumping this up....where would I find that warranty you mention? I did a search on ebay but no luck.....hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/15496115

Since you bought it through eBay then you should be able to buy a Square Trade warranty pretty cheap... like maybe $50 for 1 year, $80 for 2. That pushes up the cost, but when you won the item that was a commitment to buy it... adding the warranty is just the safest way to proceed since you've committed to buying the unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts