AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchaced the Phillips Acoustic Edge soundcard, and have been happy with DVD Playback through my Onkyo receiver. One quick question, when I installed the soudcard, I enabled SPDIF output for DTS /AC3 passthrough in the Phillps Audio control panel. This works perfectly. Howver, I don't seem to get any other windows sounds out of the card. If I click on one of the other SPDIF options, I get the windows sounds, but now not AC3 or DTS from the DVD. Is there some way to get both?? I was able to do this with my older AOpen card (Yamaha chip). Any ideas?? Seems this is now a popular card on this board. Thanks. Drew

·
Registered
112 Posts
The older Phillips' cards do not auto-switch from PCM to DD passthrough.

According to Alric, the new Dynamic Edge does auto-switch.

IF you can return that AE you might be better off with the DE instead (probably cheaper too)

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
he's right..iv'e had my acoustic edge for 5 months and this is the one thing that bugged me about this card...other than that it has been flawless.

brickie

it would be nice is there was some kind of shortcut for JUST

pcm, or ac3 without having to bring up philips control panel.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I recently purchased an Acoustic Edge for my future HTPC (only $40 at Fry's). However, not hearing windows audio is a real bummer... can this be solved by new drivers? (has this been solved?)

I am unable to test because my HTPC is not yet complete.

According the the Philips site, the Dynamic Edge is "4.1" -- does this not apply to the spdif pass though?

Thanks,

Leo

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quote:
can this be solved by new drivers? (has this been solved?)
The latest drivers were last released back in June, and the card still behaves the same.

Quote:
According the the Philips site, the Dynamic Edge is "4.1" -- does this not apply to the spdif pass though?
No, that is the analog output. AC-3 output is the same no matter how many channels are exposed in the analog.

Jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.