AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're trying to decide where in our living room to place our new 50" plasma. We live in an older house with with deep window sills, and one option we're considering is placing the TV on one of these windowsills. The sill is about 14" deep, the TV stand is about 12.5" deep. The window is long, about 5', and located in the center of one wall of the living room, so it would actually make for a great place for the TV to sit. I'm just wondering if there are any concerns about placing the TV that close to a window... Will temperature fluctuations be a problem for the set if we place it there? There is an enclosed porch (screened porch) on the other side of that window, so there is some minimal buffer against temperature changes, but not a lot. What do you think?

·
Banned
568 Posts
As long as there's no direct sunlight, it should be safe next to the window that has a screened-in porch behind it. If the window is made with double-paned glass then you have nothing to worry about with respect to outside temperature fluctuations, and still very little to worry about even if it's a single-paned window. Most of the TVs heat will dissipate upwards, so as long as there's 6" or more room above the TV and the ceiling of the windowsill it should be safe.

In conclusion, I'd assume there's nothing to worry about with where you've described you plan to place your plasma. Just slide the base of the TV as far forward (away from the window) so it's flush against the front of the sill.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
Yeah i wouldn't worry about it. The TV is rated for use from 32F to 104F and i presume your temperatures won't fluctuate that much

My TVs over the past 20 years have always been located in front of my large west-facing window, and currently on Plasma #3 with the upper half or so projecting above the windowsill. Outside temps range from 42F to 110F and afternoon sun often beats on the rear panel and none of my TVs have suffered any ill effects or melted etc. See pic in links if curious

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.