AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not profiled a meter before but am considering getting the i1 Display to pair with my Colormunki to give faster readings, readings into lower light, and no dark calibrating...

So my question is, how EXACT does the point of the screen have to be that both meters are pointing at? I am not sure how I would know that both are hitting the exact same spot. I am concerned because I have a retroreflective Datlite HP screen where angling the meter even slightly from an optimal spot can vary the luminance reading by a ftL or more. So does different luminance affect the profiling, or is it only looking at x and y readings, which I don't THINK change depending on the angle or spot at which I point the meter?

If I truly have to hit the exact spot with both meters then I am not sure how I could do that with certainty. Surely I am imagining this to be tougher than it really is...

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
In CalMAN you can profile sequentially, so put the colormunki on, read the reference data, put the i1 Display on read the target data, then go.

The point that your read should be as similar as possible, the closer you get to dead on the more accurate the profile will be.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
On my old CRT RPTV, it matters. Using side-by side profiling with my C-5 and I1 Pro, each meter is seeing a slightly different color mix at white because of screen uniformity. With sequential profiling I can put each meter at the same spot on the screen to ensure they are both seeing the same color mix and giving a somewhat more accurate profile.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah since a tripod mount was never marketed for the Colormunki (single biggest omission on an otherwise great price/performance unit) its hard to just set up a tripod and then swap meters. I have to take a bunch of tape off of the Colormunki and that leads to it getting moved slightly, etc. Also since the hardware is different i would assume the meters would point at different locations even if the tripod doesn't move. Doesn't sound too easy to do reliably. I guees its easier on a direct view screen like plasma. Would a more uniform gain screen instead of my high power also make it easier?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 /forum/post/20873881

Yeah since a tripod mount was never marketed for the Colormunki (single biggest omission on an otherwise great price/performance unit) its hard to just set up a tripod and then swap meters. I have to take a bunch of tape off of the Colormunki and that leads to it getting moved slightly, etc. Also since the hardware is different i would assume the meters would point at different locations even if the tripod doesn't move. Doesn't sound too easy to do reliably. I guees its easier on a direct view screen like plasma. Would a more uniform gain screen instead of my high power also make it easier?

You may want to look at my "Munki" mount....I have made a few..and they work well for me.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...95&postcount=1

Later

RayJr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.