Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

I have a Toshiba 40H80 tv that I finally want to enable my HD programming with. I wanted to buy the HD100, as I think it's by far the best looking unit on the market. That said, all I ever read about the HD100 everywhere is what a piece of junk it is. While I have always thought Sony made junk home audio equipment...I have always found their home video products to be superb. So my question is this...Are all the known problems with the HD100 (i.e. loud fan, video drop-out, etc.) still in existence, or has Sony fixed this on the latest manufactured models? Also, is there a replacement for this unit on the horizon, and if there is...does anyone have a link or website I can visit to educate myself about it and when it's due out??? In parting, I am completely astonished that Sony has seemingly done nothing (i.e. discontinue or improve flawed design) about a product that has gotten probably the worse reviews that I have ever read on any Sony product in my life. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. I hope everyone enjoys their holiday.

John from Boston

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have been using the HD100 since July without and problems. I have a rat shack antenna in the attic and live about 40 miles from the transmitters. I was able to get NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, and Home Shopping using the rat shack and a Channel Master pre amp. Unfortunately FOX's transmitter is broken, so I no longer have enough signal to lock. The fan is not whisper silent, but my equipment is in another room so its a moot point. Anyway, I have 4 fans for my projector that are much louder compared to the Sony HD100. If you are interested in checking it out, let me know since Boston is about an hour East from me.

----Andy Garabedian

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Andy...

Thanks for the feedback. I just may take you up on your offer to give the HD100 a looksie in action...If I could ever find Uxbridge, of course :)

John from Boston

·
Registered
716 Posts
John;

I would give the HD100 a wide berth. It's not a piece of junk; the fan noice problem is probably overated, and I think laregely comes from those of us used to the whisper quiet DTC100 fan. But you can hear it. It does have a number of problems as a consumer product though, and you can get an idea of this by the fact that it's been dumped by Sony as a product. See other threads for details of the problems, which includes sporadic dropouts, eternal waiting for guide download, and not so great picture quality (I notice motion artifacts).

Get one for less than $400 or get a cheap DTC100 or the new Zenith.

Greg

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
HD-100 = junk. Please buy mine. Cheap.

·
Registered
33,489 Posts
I agree, it IS a piece of junk...bigtime. My wife would like to throw it out the window. Between the endless waiting for guide data, loss of guide once it shows up, dropouts on SATELLITE and lip synch problems, it is not worth $200. Be advised too that if you ONLY hook it up for OTA, you won't have a problem with dropouts, only lip synch issues. The dropouts only seem to occur with DirecTV. I have 2 other HD STBs and neither has these problems. Save yourself headaches, get something else. Don't be fooled by its good looks, its beauty is only skin deep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.