AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wouldn't put alot of stock in a 1600 line claim on a 7" CRT. It just doesn't happen. 850 is probably alot closer to the truth.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Actually, it'll probably be closer to 1100 to 1200, not 850. He's talking about a projector, not a masked CRT display. You can probably do a little better than that on a front projected 7" display, but the rears always have to deal with the short throw distance which puts them at a little disadvantage.

------------------

Dean Roddey

The CIDLib C++ Frameworks
[email protected]
www.charmedquark.com

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord British:
I am leaning more towards the Pannys, as they accept more formats than the Toshibas (480p and 720p).
The Toshibas do accept & display 480p (but not 720p).

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord British:
I am trying to judge whether or not the gain of 9" of viewing area is worth losing picture quality... I wish I could compare the 2 sizes and their quality myself, but I doubt I could find a store in town that has both models on display.
You are making a multi-thousand dollar purchase. Drive around and check out few stores and see what they have on display. Picture quality is very subjective so you need to decide with your own eyes. And remember, even if the store has a good return policy, you do not want the hassle of trying to return a 65" Television.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am in serious agony trying to determine which TV to buy... I've narrowed it down to 2 Toshibas and 2 Panasonics:

Toshiba 65H80 and 56H80, or the Panasonic PT-65WX50 or PT-56WXF95

I am leaning more towards the Pannys, as they accept more formats than the Toshibas (480p and 720p).

However, after looking at spec sheets I noticed that the Toshiba 56H80 is listed as displaying 1600 horizontal lines of resolution, while the same size Panasonic PT-56WXF95 listed as displaying only 850. How is this possible? Am I misinterpreting the specs?

Also, both the Toshibas and Pannys use 7" CRTs in both their 56 and 65 inch models.... is is safe to assume that the picture quality in the 65 inch models will be worse than their 56 inch counterparts, given that the same size CRT is used to project onto a bigger screen? Is it much of a difference? I read somewhere that a 65 inch set shoud really use 9" CRTs.

I am trying to judge whether or not the gain of 9" of viewing area is worth losing picture quality... I wish I could compare the 2 sizes and their quality myself, but I doubt I could find a store in town that has both models on display.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Lord Britsh

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks to everyone who provided some advice the last couple of days.... last night I went to a store that had both the Toshiba 65H80 and 56H80.... after comparing the picture on both, I purchased the 56H80. It's more than big enough for me (I actually thought it was the 65" version when I first saw it).

The store was having an unbelievable deal (only a couple of hundred more than you could get it for online at Crazy Eddie's), and when they threw in a 5yr extended warranty for $57, I knew it was right!

The only flaw that I can think of with this TV is the fact that it won't do 720p, but judging from what I read on this forum, and from what the people in the store were saying (though who can really trust them), it doesn't seem like this will really matter. It doensn't seem like there's too much 720p content around, and it doesn't look like it is going to take off.

Of course with my luck, now that I purchased this TV, every network will switch to 720p next month! ;-)

Lord British

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good Choice on the 56H80, lots of luck. What blows me away is the -->5yr extended warranty for $57, I knew it was right! now that's a steal mine was more like $375 for 5yrs. and offset your price on the other end, good deal. You made a good choice not going with Crazy Eddie, for one its only a middle man in an empty warehouse in New Jersey, supposedly some sort of relationship to the original Eddie Adwar of Crazy Eddie fame here in the tri-state area years ago, and not an authorized Toshiba dealer anyway. I am pretty sure in telling you that ABC only broadcast in 720p (*NYPD Blue and DD) in OTA. The 56H80 up converts it to 1080i and is not just a fabulous picture but a great show. CBS by far has the best to offer in the evening 8pm thru 11pm on the east coast all great shows and quality. All this what I have mentioned is offered for free via OTA,(Radio Shack Double Bow Tie Antenna $15.00) but you need the HD/STB. If you haven't purchased a STB box yet the DST-3000 is my choice. A few weeks ago the rebate for purchase of a 56H80 and DST-3000 could have gotten you back another $200.00. Even if your set never ever receives a HD signal the picture it will display I guarantee you is better than what your watching now. My local CBS/*NBC/FOX/*ABC (*when broadcasting) live news program digital feed up converted looks just as good as a HD feed, except with side bars. Once you see what it will do, you will find it very hard after awhile watching even progressive scan DVD's or DirecTV except HBO/HD and Demo Loop, at least I do.

Have Fun, and you better order some more munchies for the house, very hard to get rid of the company after they see what you have.

--------------

Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST boycott JVC

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
L.B., you might want to check this thread , specifically the 4/30 entry near the end, which adds some details on the 56H80, and elaborates slightly on the thread referenced by cvye above. (Wish videophile magazines would all invest in AccuPel or other HDTV test-pattern generators, and publish resolution charts of HDTVs instead of grayscale plots, then we wouldn't have to be so vague about what various HDTV models actually can display.) --John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 05-02-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.