AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new Yamaha receiver and ran YPAO today. The manual say set the sub crossover to max during the calibration but doesn't say what, if anything to do, after calibration is finished.

The results set my fronts/center to large and the LPF to 80hz. In the receiver forum, most suggest setting the fronts to small unless they have really great low end which mine don't. I set them manually to small.

Should I leave the sub crossover freq at max since the LFE/LPF is set to 80? I assume that means not much info above 80 is being sent to the sub, right?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Leave the x over on the back of the sub at max unless it has an off switch. It was also a wise decision to set your other speakers to small. If you can play around with different x overs for your mains, center and surrounds you may want to do some trial and error testing to see what sounds best to you. Leaving the sub LFE/LPF at 80hz is a common setting. It works good but is not etched in stone. It is what I use though.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil /forum/post/18163523

Got a new Yamaha receiver and ran YPAO today. The manual say set the sub crossover to max during the calibration but doesn't say what, if anything to do, after calibration is finished.

The results set my fronts/center to large and the LPF to 80hz. In the receiver forum, most suggest setting the fronts to small unless they have really great low end which mine don't. I set them manually to small.

Should I leave the sub crossover freq at max since the LFE/LPF is set to 80? I assume that means not much info above 80 is being sent to the sub, right?

The LFE channel has material up to 120hz. Setting the LPF of the LFE to 80, you will possibly lose some LFE sound. However, above 80 there could be issues with localizing the bass material. I would try 120 and if you cannot pinpoint the sub, leave it there. I left mine at 80 until I found out that the LFE channel goes up to 120. If you can localize at 120, try scaling slowly down a notch at a time until you're happy with the sound in respect to localization.

I am far from an expert on this but that is my take on the LPF for the LFE channel.

Don

Edit: cyberbri brings up a good point in the next post. It's not that big of a deal with localization with the LFE because that channel hardly ever has dialog.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
lmacmil,

What kind of speakers and sub do you have? Where's the sub located in relation to the seating location?

Repeating what the others said... You are correct to have re-set the speakers to small. 80Hz in the receiver is fine as a general rule and starting point. On the sub, turn the xo dial all the way up, and turn the crossover "off" on the sub if possible (some subs have a switch, or a separate RCA input for enabling or disabling the crossover).

If you engage the crossover in the sub, you're double filtering and losing a lot of bass. Yes, it goes up to 120Hz, but that's only for the LFE channel. You shouldn't have issues with localizing that -- you get issues when the crossover for the mains and/or center is too high and you get sounds or lower registers of voices coming from wherever the sub is instead of the front of the room.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri /forum/post/18164276

What kind of speakers and sub do you have? Where's the sub located in relation to the seating location?

Fronts are Polk Monitor 40s. The left speaker is on a stand on top of the sub, a BIC H100, adjacent to the TV. The right speaker is on a higher stand so they are at the same height. Rears are Polk M10 mounted on the wall about 5' high.

I'll play around a bit but it sounds pretty good right now the way I have it. I'm not sure I would even be able to detect subtle differences.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts