AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just setting up my new receiver in my 7.1 room. I believe it's a Yamaha 2500. I've never before used one of those mics that tests the sound in the room and adjusts the various speaker levels.

Whenever I attempt to have it perform the self-check test, it begins sending sound through the speakers at increasing volume levels until it gets so loud that I have to abort the test out of fear of blowing out my speakers, or worse, my ear drums.

Anyone have a similar experience with this? Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? It sure doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I have run the RX-V2500 YPAO auto calibration several (many ;) ) times and have

never noticed the speaker levels to be excessively loud. I could check it with

my RS analog SPL meter but I recall that they seem to run a level comparable to

and Avia test DVD calibration or the to test levels of a DVD disk's THX calibration.

No more than 85 db.

I use the special mike that came with the 2500. It refuses to run the YPAO auto

cal if a mike is not plugged in. But I wonder what happens if the mike breaks

up at the sensing element - would the receiver just keep trying louder and louder

levels (trying to compensate for inefficient speakers)?

The best bet would be to find someone else in your area that has the

RX-V2500 mike and borrow it for a test comparison.

Good Luck!

Bob

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Yes, it sounds like either a bad mic, or (less likely) a bad receiver.

In any case, do yourself a favor and get a Radio Shack SPL meter. Then you can either use the receiver internal test tones (if it has them) or a test disk to run a manual calibration. Even if the auto-setups and EQs work as designed, as often as not they produce strange results. With an SPL meter you can apply a sanity check, or just do the setup manually. (And you will also gain the capability of doing a much more sophisticated calibration with the addition of some software.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.