AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posed this question in the audio section and got no responses. Can anyone here give me any insight on this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just setting up my new receiver in my 7.1 room. I believe it's a Yamaha 2500. I've never before used one of those mics that tests the sound in the room and adjusts the various speaker levels.

Whenever I attempt to have it perform the self-check test, it begins sending sound through the speakers at increasing volume levels until it gets so loud that I have to abort the test out of fear of blowing out my speakers, or worse, my ear drums.

Anyone have a similar experience with this? Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? It sure doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have a Pioneer, which gets pretty loud, but not where I'm fearful. Have you checked to see if the mic is working? The reason it get's loud is to sample where it thinks it should be at a particular setting and compares it to what it actually hears. This way it can set a curve.

If it gets too loud, I suspect there is a mic problem, or an acoustically bad room.

Clay

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point Clay. It gets uncomfortably loud and I fear that if it goes one level higher, the speaker(s) will fry, so I abort it every time. I've got to test the mic. Can it be used as a regular mic? If so, I need to find a component that I can test it with.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
the mic I have fits in my laptop mic port. You may want to check your computer as well.

I have't tried it with a regular mic. You should check the docs to see if is Omni-directional or directional. Other wise I see no reason it shouldn't work.

Clay

·
Registered
16 Posts
other mics may have different sensitivities which could screw up your volume levels and I suppose your EQ settings. I would return the reciever and get a new one just in case.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Several good answers to this already cross-posted in the Audio Theory forum.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropole
I used the Yamaha 2400 setup with no problems.

So it didn't very, very loud when you ran it? I guess I must have a defective mic.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Stavo,

I also have a 2400 and have run the self-optimization test numerous times with no problems. It does get loud (relative term) but definitely not to the point that I thought I was going to blow a speaker. Its a pretty simple process so I'm not sure there is anything you could be doing wrong. I know the cable on the mic is pretty flimsy (mine is constantly getting tangled up). Could be you have a bad mic or cable?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLloyd
Stavo,

I also have a 2400 and have run the self-optimization test numerous times with no problems. It does get loud (relative term) but definitely not to the point that I thought I was going to blow a speaker. Its a pretty simple process so I'm not sure there is anything you could be doing wrong. I know the cable on the mic is pretty flimsy (mine is constantly getting tangled up). Could be you have a bad mic or cable?

Thanks. I'm taking the mic in today to have them test it. They told me on the phone yesterday that they would swap it if it was bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.