AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem (well, more than one but let me focus on this...)

Anyway, I have a space problem for a new HDTV.

I have a maximum of 24" height in a custom cabinet and can modify the width to fit up to 60".

I currently enjoy a 27" television and want to upgrade to HDTV with 16:9 ratio

I calculate that that I would need at least a 32" screen to keep my current 4:3 height the same. Here's my dilemna:

It's easier for me to modify this cabinet to accomodate a flat panel television. Therefore, I was looking at the Sharp 37" Aquas 4U (With speakers on the side).

Then all of a sudden the 6U is available and has the speakers on the bottom and completely blows my height dimension availability out of the water.

Now I understand that Sharp is coming out with an even better line of LCD televisions in the 37" range (ones that display 1080 ppi) and have a better refresh rate to eliminate 'ghosting'.

I have the luxury of waiting a while, so, here are the $64K questions:

1. Does anyone know what Sharp is coming out with?

2. Does anyone have a better alternative?

3. Is LCD a better display in a bright room? (my room has lots of windows)

4. Should I just forget the LCD right now and consider a CRT HDTV in 30"?

5. Should I spend my money on a vaction and forget the whole thing?

One last thing, this is an everday t.v. spot. Not just for the movie experience. I really need a workhorse here.

Thanks for entertaining my babble,

HZ:confused:

·
Super Moderator
21,429 Posts
Quote:
3. Is LCD a better display in a bright room? (my room has lots of windows)
Yes: LCD's look best in a bright room: that's why they look so good in showrooms

·
Registered
407 Posts
My comments:

1) Yes agree, the LCDs do well in bright rooms

2) I have not seen Sharp PUBLISH response times for ANY of their large, wide-screen LCDs, but MOST (not all) people seem to be happy with the 37" LCD showing motion; and

3) The new 37" from Sharp (LC-37GD4U) isn't projected to be available until the 3rd quarter, and I don't think that it is a 1080p display since it only has 768 lines of resolution. (Maybe you are thinking of the new 45" unit ??)

4) Only you can decide what to spend your money on !

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Mario is right... Only the 45" will be 1920 x 1080.

·
Registered
90 Posts
1366 x 768 on a 37" display is all the rez you need. You can look at it from 1 foot away and not see the dreaded "screen door effect".

I got mine BECAUSE it works better than a plasma display in a bright sunny room.

Did you know... the (newer) 6U's speakers (below the screen) are removable! So you can fit it into really tight quarters (but don't cook it).

I have a Pio HD 43" plasma (and just got the Sharp 37" 6U). The Sharp LCD screen, while turned off, looks black (in the bright room). The Pio's screen (which we only watch at night) looks darkish grey (while powered off) in a bright room.

The anti-glare coating on the Sharp is amazing. It is in an armoire in the corner of a room that is flanked (within 2 feet) on each side by large windows that let in bright South-West sun light. So the sun is shining on everything in the room. There are virtually no visible reflections of lighted objects in the room!

With 60,000 hours of screen life, and no screen burn-in issues, you can have a hi-def fish aquarium on the display when you are not watching TV.

Surf the web and read all of the reviews you can find. Sharp 6U (and 4U) owners are very happy campers. The only thing that is usually listed as a negative is the high price. For 4U's, the fact that it doesn't store settings independently for each input is sometimes mentioned. But even then, they get very high marks over all.

·
Super Moderator
21,429 Posts
I have a Sharp LC-30 LCD with noticeable burn in:
LCD burn in

mine is an extreme example but it shows it can happen

·
Registered
90 Posts
markrubin,

THANK you for the LCD burn-in info. If I get a novel, semi static "screen background" (like a fish aquarium) I will make sure that it contains imagery that, over time, results in all pixels receiving the same average luminance level.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.