AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen anyone compare the differences between the HW10 and VW60. I was also wondering about the VW100 compared to the above mentioned projectors, even though it's an older model. Both of my souces (1080i digital cable and 1080P Blu-Ray HTPC) will be going through an Onkyo 886 processor before heading to the projector. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
670 Posts
i dont think there was much of a difference from the new HW10 and the VW60, from reviews ive read, which i also found funny since i read the vw40 was similar to the 60 in terms of native contrast, the 60 had a much more advanced iris. If your thinkin of upgrading, id wait, doesnt seen to be any major jumps yet. Im holding out for more advanced bulb tech now or 3000 lumen beats that have great contrast

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am moving on from a Pioneer Elite CRT RPTV. I guess I should have phrased the question, which will get me better PQ a new HW10 or a used VW60 or VW100. The screen will be a matte white (1.1 gain) 92" Elite Systems Cinetension 2.

Dan

ps, does the VW100 do 1080P/24?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Neither VW60 nor VW100 support HDMI 1.3. Which may not be very future proof if you intend to keep the projector for 5 years or more.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I probably am not looking to keep it that long. I assume you mean 10, 12 and 16 bit deep color, along with improved color space correction? I was just wondering if the vw100 supports 1080/24 Hz. I know it supports 60 Hz., but I cannot find anything about 24 Hz.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sorry no idea about whether VW100 handles 1080/24. May be someone who owns once can answer that question.

VW100 is definitely a very well made projector but the technology is 3 years old and probably no longer covered by warranty, combine with expensive bulb replacement. The running cost may be more than what you have anticipated. I have both VW60 and Panasonic AE3000 both have strengths and weaknesses. The performances are so close it is hard to say which is the definite winner. Unless you have some reason not to like LCD projector you may want to find some demo in your area.

Note sony projector do not handle 1080p over component or VGA.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchewd /forum/post/15536980

Thanks. I probably am not looking to keep it that long. I assume you mean 10, 12 and 16 bit deep color, along with improved color space correction? I was just wondering if the vw100 supports 1080/24 Hz. I know it supports 60 Hz., but I cannot find anything about 24 Hz.

AFAIK the VW100 does not support 1080p24. It does support 1080p48.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I had a vw100 when they were new, and had it about a year or so. I've now got the hw10, and (working from memory) the hw10 is better. Now I'm not measuring the spectrum of the bulb etc..., but just comparing real-world performance.

Better blacks

Better iris behaiviour, more control

Bright corners are really not an issue now

Better percieved contrast

Smaller

Quieter (I think, but VW was quiet too)

- no powered lens, if that matters

Better HDMI compliance, plus 1080p/24 support via HDMI

VW100 was / is a great PJ, but hw10 is (IMO) marginally better, but smaller / cheaper. All depends on how cheap you can get a vw100, I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts