AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be moving into a small apartment/house ans with limited floor space I was wondering if my 12" sub could be a stand for my towers? (1 sub per tower) Would raise them to a more suited listening position for one, but didnt know if being ontop of the sub if it would cause any problems?

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Depends on how picky you want to be. Generally, you want your mains to be sitting as still as possible so the only thing moving is the cones/domes/ribbons/etc. If your sub cabinet is vibrating, so are your towers. This can cause phase issues. Yes, yes, I know it is very small distances but how far do you think a dome tweeter moves? A WHOLE LOT LESS than the flexing in most sub cabinets.

Besides, I would be scared to death in an apartment with nice sloppy floors, that they mains would eventually vibrate off!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fieroloki
Im going to be moving into a small apartment/house ans with limited floor space I was wondering if my 12" sub could be a stand for my towers? (1 sub per tower) Would raise them to a more suited listening position for one, but didnt know if being ontop of the sub if it would cause any problems?
No, it shouldn't cause any problems.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bpape
Depends on how picky you want to be. Generally, you want your mains to be sitting as still as possible so the only thing moving is the cones/domes/ribbons/etc. If your sub cabinet is vibrating, so are your towers. This can cause phase issues. Yes, yes, I know it is very small distances but how far do you think a dome tweeter moves? A WHOLE LOT LESS than the flexing in most sub cabinets.
Motion of the speaker cabinets will not cause phase issues. (Besides, how steady do you think you can hold your head?) Any motion contributed to the main speaker by vibration of the subwoofer cabinet will be at a much lower frequency than any motion of the tweeter diaphragm and thus irrelevant to high-frequency reproduction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.