AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Samsung LN40B540 LCD about a week ago from Costco. It's been great so far, but noticed recently that there is a green stuck pixel. I can't really see it but found out by fluke when the screen was black and i went to check out my DVD player, was kind of bummed about it.

Was thinking of exchanging it, but it is a pretty big hassle packing it up and taking it back to Costco and who knows, maybe the replacement will be worse.

I tried those software programs to try to fix but never worked and i don't want to try those pressure or tapping methods to avoid further damage.

If i do try to exchange it what are the odds of the replacement having a stuck or dead pixel? and is it really worth the hassle and effort trying to exchange it?

I have 90 days to return or exchange, so still trying to debate, but it's always going to be on the back of my mind when watching movies that there is a green pixel that will likely drive me crazy.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Its obvious that the stuck pixel bothers you. That should make your choice about what to do obvious also.

·
Registered
412 Posts
A few years ago pixel failure was enough of an issue to where manufacturers had to develop some kind of guideline as to what was acceptable and what warranted replacement. Modern LCD panel technology has made pixel issues a rarity. A dark pixel can easily be ignored but a bright red or green pixel is annoying. It would be in their (and yours) best interest to just replace the television or install a new panel.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Slight pressure with your finger (using a microfiber cloth) isn't going to hurt it, if you're strongly consider returning it, you might as well give it a try.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by engycanuck /forum/post/18290434

Slight pressure with your finger (using a microfiber cloth) isn't going to hurt it, if you're strongly consider returning it, you might as well give it a try.

This is interesting. All these panel manufacturers have been doing it the hard way by replacing the panel instead of pressing on the panel to take care of pixel issues. Imagine the millions they could save if this truly worked. I am being facetious if anyone hasn't noticed.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,034 Posts
Stuck pixels will likely fix themselves over time. I myself have had two stuck pixels on my tv: one Magenta straight out of the box. The other was a stuck green pixel which happened much later.

Both of those pixels resolved themselves and are no longer stuck. Just give it time. Especially if you can't see it during normal operation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem with my new LCD. I have blue stuck pixel wich isn't noticable unless the screen is black. Unfortunately when I'm playing a Blu-ray or DVD that is widescreen I can see it if I get close. I have found that if I press around (not directly on) the stuckpixel it will temporarily fix it but allways seems to get stuck again. Also if I press directly on the stuck pixel while it's "fixed", it will get stuck.

I agree with those who said if you can replace it, do it. I'd replace mine but it was a gift from my sister and sending it back would cost about $20 or more.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by display veteran /forum/post/18290568

This is interesting. All these panel manufacturers have been doing it the hard way by replacing the panel instead of pressing on the panel to take care of pixel issues. Imagine the millions they could save if this truly worked. I am being facetious if anyone hasn't noticed.

What's with being a smart ass?

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/...=0&PROD_ID=133

FYI They do make this recommendation, and of course it's not expected to fix all bad pixels, but it can work in some cases and there are people including myself who've had first hand experience of it, and there are discussions here and other popular web pages that recommend the pressure method.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-P...an-LCD-Monitor
http://www.ehow.com/how_5027748_fix-stuck-pixel.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/15535...uck_pixel.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your opinions guys.

I took the TV back this morning at Costco, but they don't do exchanges so basically had to return it and re-buy it again. The person opened it to check the serial number to see if it matches, checked if accessories were there and that's it. Was in and out within half hour.

Went home plugged it in and was looking for issues like clouding, blacklight, pixels, etc. and thankfully the replacement was 100% perfect, no clouding, blacks were perfect and no dead or stuck pixels
. My new panel was a SQ02 whereas my first one was SQ01.

Completely satisfied now, and finally can enjoy it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts