AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I thought I was going about hookup correctly, but maybe not. I currently have my svs sub tooked directly from teh sub to the back of the avr using an rca cable. The problem is the cable runs on the floor and is in the way so I'm finally getting around to hiding it.

My plan is to expand my current wall plate that takes a single speaker (2 banana plugs going into it) to accomodate my sub as well. From there, it will go down through my crawl space and up into my nook that houses all my avr components. I plan on putting a 5.1 wall plate in the nook that will connect all the wires coming up from the crawl space.

I ordered 3 rca cables. One from teh sub to the wall (2'), one that will go down through the crawl space and terminate at the 5.1 plate (15'), then from 5.1 plate to the AVR (3'). One home improvement store has a 5.1 that on the back takes an F-connector? monoprice has a 5.1 that has a sub connector that takes rca on the backside and front side.

Should I be doing rca all the way around or using that f-connector whatever that is? Also monoprice has it so I can build my own, but the keystone speaker inserts say "solder" for the back - my current ones accept banana plugs front and back which seems easier? I'm confused on what to get exactly.

Here is my sub:

SUB: SVS 25-31PC+
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-plpow3.cfm

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc3 /forum/post/16968456

Should I be doing rca all the way around or using that f-connector whatever that is?

An F-Connector is a standard screw on connector that is commonly used in cable and satellite TV systems. It works just fine with audio as well. My setup is RCA from my equipment rack to a wall plate. On the back side of the wall plates are F-connectors. I made a 45' cable out of RG-6 to run inside the wall to the attic, over the top of my room and down in the wall to the wall plate in front of the room. From the wall plate is RCA. Really, my RCA cables are RCA to 1/4" mono since I am using pro audio EQ's and amps in my system. So connections types don't matter as long as the cables are good quality and they work with your equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc3 /forum/post/16968456

Also monoprice has it so I can build my own, but the keystone speaker inserts say "solder" for the back - my current ones accept banana plugs front and back which seems easier?

Are you comfortable soldering? I'd think the soldered connections would be more reliable and cheaper than bannanas.

-Robert

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rlj, thanks for the response. I don't have a soldering gun at the moment, and all I ever remember was using one when I was much younger
I just figured slapping on a banana plug was more convienent, but I will look into it some more.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
The "F" connector is a valid option only, IMO, if you are using a coaxial cable with a solid center conductor to join at the back side of the wall plate.

If you already have RCA cables get the RCA-RCA wallplate.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/16970328

The "F" connector is a valid option only, IMO, if you are using a coaxial cable with a solid center conductor to join at the back side of the wall plate.

If you already have RCA cables get the RCA-RCA wallplate.

whoareu, are you saying the "F" connector is THE only valid option?

Could you recommend or point me to a coaxial cable with a solid center? Never bought one before and not sure of specs (if there are any) or whats good. I can always return the rca cable since I just bought it.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
It's a valid option only if you have solid core coax cable.

Since you already have them, just use the RCA cables and get the RCA-RCA wallplate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.