AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi everyone, I have been reading on this forum for a while and I have only recently joined.

This place has a lot of great information and great people and I enjoy looking at reviews and just reading through some of the threads here.

I am a newbie to the world of audio and HT and I have recently just got myself a 2.0 set up connected to my aTV for music and movies. It is a very basic DAC + stereo T-amp connected to a set of HT satellites (ML Motion 4's). The Motions have very nice timbre especially in the upper end. Sound is always crystal clear with a lot of extra details that I was not hearing before, even at very low listening levels.

As a next step (into the bottomless AV rabbit hole!) I am considering to add a subwoofer to the system to give the overall sound a bit more low end (as you can imagine the Motions are a bit lacking in that department). With the current simple stereo amp I have the only way I can connect the sub to the system is through line level in/out. I understand it would do me much good to get a receiver with dedicated subwoofer output with room correction and eq functionalities but I would like to keep things progressive in terms of budget for now.

My question is: using the line-level in/out from the subwoofer (I am having the SVS PB-1000 in mind), will it be a nightmare to level match the sub and the speakers? If not could someone shed some light and share their knowledge on how I can acheive that?

Will the volume knob on the subwoofer control the volume of the speakers as well (since the line-out will connect to the amp)?

And I guess the ultimate question is - will it be almost impractical to run such a set up without a receiver?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
You would need to be able to adjust the volume with the source--your TV--to effectively use the line in/line outs on the PB-1000 with your t-amp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1522146/question-on-subwoofer-set-up-using-line-level-in-outputs#post_24471147

You would need to be able to adjust the volume with the source--your TV--to effectively use the line in/line outs on the PB-1000 with your t-amp.
Thanks Cel for your input.

Another thought - would it be possible to connect the speakers and sub in series or parallel through the high level inputs on the sub?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
It is my understanding the the impedance on the high level inputs on a sub is typically high enough that it doesn't hurt to run it and the speakers off of the speaker outputs on the amp. You might check with SVS to verify that.

Just curious. What t-amp are you using?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a cheapo Topping TP-22 that I got for around $120.
http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/tp22.htm

The reason I have this is that the speakers were originally used in my bedroom as a compact system. Now that I am considering to move it plus the future sub to the living room of my apartment I should seriously start considering a proper receiver to do the job.

Again just wanna see if I can be a bit more progressive the expenses...

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainster  /t/1522146/question-on-subwoofer-set-up-using-line-level-in-outputs#post_24471459

The reason I have this is that the speakers were originally used in my bedroom as a compact system. Now that I am considering to move it plus the future sub to the living room of my apartment I should seriously start considering a proper receiver to do the job.

Toppings are very good t-amps. Nice sound quality.

But a receiver certainly would make things easier. An AVR would have bass management built in to make setting the crossover very simple.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainster  /t/1522146/question-on-subwoofer-set-up-using-line-level-in-outputs#post_24471459

One irony is that you could have obtained a 5.1 channel AVR with bass management for a few bucks less:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr1513/denon-avr-1513-5.1ch-home-theater-receiver-3d-ready/1.html

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1522146/question-on-subwoofer-set-up-using-line-level-in-outputs#post_24472142

Toppings are very good t-amps. Nice sound quality.

But a receiver certainly would make things easier. An AVR would have bass management built in to make setting the crossover very simple.
Yes the amp sounds very nice. Perfect for a small compact 2.0 system IMO, except maybe the lack of a remote control to adjust the volume. It's a reasonable compromise considering the price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1522146/question-on-subwoofer-set-up-using-line-level-in-outputs#post_24472304

One irony is that you could have obtained a 5.1 channel AVR with bass management for a few bucks less:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr1513/denon-avr-1513-5.1ch-home-theater-receiver-3d-ready/1.html
Seriously I didn't expect those Denons could be had for such a low price! But when I made the choice on the T-amp footprint was also one of my considerations, with the bedroom setup.

Thanks for the link though. It might be an option for my next step.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainster  /t/1522146/question-on-subwoofer-set-up-using-line-level-in-outputs#post_24475569

Yes the amp sounds very nice. Perfect for a small compact 2.0 system IMO, except maybe the lack of a remote control to adjust the volume. It's a reasonable compromise considering the price.

I also like that they don't use much electrical power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522146/question-on-subwoofer-set-up-using-line-level-in-outputs#post_24472465

I'd use the speaker level out into the sub. Then speaker level out from the sub, into your speakers. You need a subwoofer with high pass filter, on the speaker level inputs. Speaker level outputs.

The SVS SB12+ had this feature.

I don't think the PB1000 has the speaker level out connection...

Anyway I'll take Cel's suggestion to check with SVS on the possibility to connect the sub parallel with the speaker. The PB1000 has high enough impedance to have negligible impact on the total impedance.

Thanks everyone for their comments so far!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts