Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I've been researching digital projectors for a while now - I currently use an NEC XG85 CRT - I'm moving to a new home and will have trouble keeping things "light tight" all the time - so I need something brighter than my CRT (plus it would hurt to have a device that didn't take a crane to move into place -- but it does have a great picture).

I'm considering (among others) the DILAs -

Question: how bright does a G15 DILA end up after being properly calibrated)?

How bright does a G20 DILA end up after being calibrated?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
doctorv,

I had a calibrated G15 for a short while, and I never thought to myself, "I wish it was brighter"! It was very bright, but in a really pleasing way. I believe that in addition to raw lumens, the Xenon lamp just makes the picture appear "vivid" instead of just "bright". The color saturation is a big part of that.

To make a computer analogy, the lumens are the horsepower, the CPU. You certainly need that. However, a Xenon bulb is like having 512 MB of memory to back up the CPU. The CPU still have the same cycles available, but it sure seems to run a lot faster with the memory to back it up. In other words, there is a connection between the two.

How large is your room? I found the calibrated G15 to be nice and vivid with great coloration, and I actually think that a G20 might be a too much except in a very large room. I normally use a G11 in my own home theater.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello - thanks for the replies - The room that I'm going to put the projector in is a family room with a directly attached kitchen. The family room is about 20' x 20' and the kitchen is about 13'x20' -- my goal is to use a 107" x 60" gray hawk screen. I use this project in a full media convergence approach - its my home computer, my TV, and my theater - so there are times that I'll want to have some light on and times when I'll darken the room for serious movie watching -- this is how I've been using my CRT - but its difficult when the light is over abundant.

Sounds like you are thinking the G15 would do the trick - but perhaps you are thinking in terms of a smaller screen and room??

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have a calbrated G-15 with a 118 X 66 Greyhawk and it has plenty of brightness. I agree with Mark on the "vivid"statement this is a killer combination and just seems to jump off the screen.

Earl

·
Registered
221 Posts
My screen is the same as what you intend. My room has full light control, but I have no problem viewing a good picture with 8 recessed lights and 4 wall sconces turned on. You should do fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Although my theater construction is still underway and my Greyhawk microperforated screen has not arrived, I am wondering if I should take advantage of the Isco II lens powerbuy for the D-ILA G15 that I already bought.

Is it worth getting the lens to make the picture even brighter? (I realize the other main benefits of the lens are also using all the pixels, a "smoother" picture, and possibly increased contrast).

The previous post about the G-15 picture being too bright already is what brought this question up. Is anyone else thinking of using the Isco II with their D-ILA?

·
Registered
221 Posts
The "too bright" was tongue in cheek. I considered the Isco II myself to improve resolution, not brightness. However, this lens does mean moving your projector closer to the screen and is not compatible for my setup. You have to be able to zoom the image down so that the full height of the 1365X1024 pixels will fit on the screen. With the notorious panamorph, you only had to fit the full width on your screen; the lens compresses the height to fit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's a great point about the need to "move the projector in" to accomodate the Isco II.

When I calculated the "new throw distance" for the Isco II exactly using the formula that Jason Turk posted on the Isco II spec thread from 2 days ago, I was surprised to learn that I won't be able to use the lens either. I thought that I would be able to zoom the picture to accomodate the lens. Instead, my new throw maximum distance is 3 feet closer than I planned my projector to be.

I think that there will be some unhappy people (who didn't sit down and calculate the revised Isco II throw distances before buying the lens) who will have to return their lens minus the 10% restocking fee.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Did you realize that with D-ILA's you can use Dilard to 'zoom in' the image on the screen?

In fact, that's what I do. If the image is still too large for the screen just do the adjustment in Dilard. Sure, you loose SOME resolution but that's one thing the D-ILA has to burn.

Even if you used only 1100 of the 1365 pixels, that's still better than anything else on the market.

I have a 2.40 screen with constant height variable width aspect ratios. the 2.40 aspect uses the entire 1365 while the lesser aspects use progressively less.

This is a good balance since narrower images, (1.33!), start out with less resolution anyway. In this way, I don't zoom the projector at all. Personally, I don't like overusing mechanical things like motors, gears, etc. That's the stuff that wears out.

Just another idea,

Phil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.