AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does input on the DVI port of the A303 card get further processing from the card, or is it just passed through to the plasma?

I am using an HDL, but have decided to go S-Video direct into the 503CMX, so I am considering replacing my 5002 card with the A303. The problem is that I am still using the HDL for DVD via SDI & DVI, and would not want to degrade the quality of that input.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
888 Posts
David,

As far as I know the A-303 will accept NR, but it does process it and sends it to the panel as either 720p or 1080i and lets the panel finish the down or up conversion to 768p. I'm curious why S-Video direct to the plasma? It looks better than using the HDL?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phil,

I can't take the crappy switching on the HDL. Its driving my wife nuts. So for now, until KD improves the HDL with some real discrete codes, I'm only running the SDI DVD player thru the HDL.

David

·
Registered
888 Posts
Gotcha Dave. I thought by now things would have progressed better than they have. The A-303 is definitely not the answer if you are using an external scaler. We are stuck with the 5002 until HDCP becomes and issue. I think you have the new Pioneer 3510HD TWC Box like I do, so you know it already has become an issue since HDCP is active all the time and hooking up the DVI out of the box disables the component outputs. Do you find the lack of an all format component input on the HDL to be a problem also?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phil,

Yes, that is a good point - it is a problem, although, IMHO, low on the list of HDL problems to be addressed right now.

As far as DVI goes, I am not using the DVI out on the 3510 - I'm going component straight to the plasma. If and when I do need it, I would go DVI to the HDL and then RGB to the plasma.

David

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
David, does that mean you've given up on HDL's DVI output? Are you only using rgbhv out when you run from your dvd's sdi to HDL?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Alan or David,

Have either of you tried comparing the RGBHV to DVI?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alan,

No - actually I am only using DVI right now. All I was saying was that in the event I ran into a situation where I needed HDCP (which I have yet to do) and I still had the 5002 card, and not the A303, I would go DVI HDCP to the HDL, and then RGBHV to the plasma.

As far as comparing the two, I keep going back and forth as to which I prefer. Its the classic comparison - RGBHV has brighter colors, but DVI is a sharper picture.

David

·
Registered
888 Posts
David,

I do not believe you can do that. When the HDL or any HDCP device receives a digital signal that is HDCP encoded it can only be sent out w/HDCP, the analog outputs are disabled. You would have to feed the HDL or any other device with an analog source signal.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phil,

This is not true. I have run HDCP via DVI to the HDL from the 3510, and then RGBHV to the plasma. DVI did not work at all, but RGBHV worked fine, which is logical since HDCP is only worried about encrypting digital not analog signals.

David

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
David,

I'm confused, if you have an HDCP signal coming into HDL through DVI, your RGBHV should be disabled, and if you have the 5002 - your DVI out should also be disabled.

So, either you didn't check it properly, or you don't have HDCP turned on, or the HDL has a bug.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dschamis
...As far as comparing the two, I keep going back and forth as to which I prefer. Its the classic comparison - RGBHV has brighter colors, but DVI is a sharper picture.

David
I haven't had my rgbhv ISF calibrated, and my DVI was ISF calibrated with a digital Leeza, so I don't think I can do a fair comparison yet. David, you haven't had an ISF, have you? I'm wondering if a better calibration of the two inputs would eliminate the trade off.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Ofer & David,

I understand the HDCP rule the same Ofer. The 3510HD box shuts the analog outputs off as soon as you connect a DVI cable which is not the intention of HDCP to begin with so that is the first problem. I think what is going on is that the DVI port on the 3510HD thinks it is HDCP on all the time; however, there are no flags present in the broadcast so you have a handshake between the 3510 and the HDL, but the HDL doesn't have to turn off the analog outputs because there are no flags present. As soon as a proper flag is present you will lose this capability. The 5002 doesn't know what to do with the 3510 hooked up directly probably because it is sending out a video resolution that the 5002 doesn't recognize because it is looking for a PC signal and secondly because the 3510 is looking for a HDCP handshake on the other side. I'm just speculating, but seems reasonable.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
I haven't had my rgbhv ISF calibrated, and my DVI was ISF calibrated with a digital Leeza, so I don't think I can do a fair comparison yet. David, you haven't had an ISF, have you? I'm wondering if a better calibration of the two inputs would eliminate the trade off.
Alan & David,

The reason I asked about the RGBHV input was I remember reading here that the RGBHV input on the Pioneer is 10 Bit Vs. 8 Bit for DVI. We all believe the all digital path will theoretically provide the best possible picture and from our experience with DVD be it the SDI through Leeza, HDL, HTPC, or something other, that pretty much has proven to be the case, but was wondering all things equal how does the RGBHV on the 503 compare to the DVI using the HDL.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Ofer,

Agreed. There are also reports specifically with Samsung Displays with HDCP that the box does not work via DVI. Since it is so new, hopefully they will fix this, but I do not hold much hope since the analog outputs are disabled completely as soon as you plug the DVI cable in. The good thing with this box is that it passes 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i via component (whatever comes in goes out) so overall picture quality is much improved , at least for me over prior SA3100HD box I had.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dschamis
Does input on the DVI port of the A303 card get further processing from the card, or is it just passed through to the plasma?
Dave,

I just read through the Aurora catalog and confirmed from their literature that even though the A-303 accepts a DVI signal, it converts that signal to an analog component signal either 1080i or 720p to send to the Plasma.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well then it seems that the solution for me right now is to stick to the 5002 card, and suffer with the poorer quality S-Video.

Meanwhile, I remember reading that Aurora had a suped-up version of the A303 coming out by xmas which will allow for DVI pass-through and HDCP.

The only problem I would have until then is if and when HDCP becomes an issue, which as of today, on TWC in NYC, it is a complete non-issue.

David

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On the other hand, I can go with the HDL to the RGBHV port on the 503, and then go with the A303 card for S-Video and HDCP is ever necessary.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Dave,

If you are sending component to the panel via input 2 why not eliminate the S-video all together and set the 3510 to output whatever it receives (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i). You can eliminate a switching process this way and to me the 480i via component is better than the S-Video feed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.