AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about ready to buy a HD Plasma display, and I 'd like to get a 50" model (have narrowed it to Pio or Panny). Most of the docs I have seen recommend 10 feet as the minimum viewing distance for a HD display of that size. For various reasons, mostly relating to room geometry, I'm not likely to acheive that much distance from the screen: 8.5-9 feet is probably the best I can do.

I'd be interested in hearing opinions and thoughts on the subject. I'd especially enjoy hearing from those of you with 50" HD displays who may be viewing from a similar distance as to your subjective experiences.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
846 Posts
The only preference regarding distance that matters is your own. Some folks will love being 8-9 ft away and others will find it too close. At 8-9 ft from a 50" HD display you will certainly not see any "screen door effect" so the only real issue is visual preference.

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
on my 50" 7UY,

I sit 6ft away for PC gaming.

I sit 7~8 ft away for watching movies.

Sometimes I stand/sit 16 ft away watching movies and other videos.

I don't know what the problems is with you people but I DON'T see SDE even at 4ft away!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree that it's a matter of preference. I sometimes sit 5-6 ft from my Panny 50px500u when watching HD and it's awesome. Other times, it could be 12-15 ft and it's still a good viewing experience.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I'd say 10 feet is the maximum distance from a 50" for your eyes to resolve the full resolution available, close is better. I'd say 8-9feet is the sweet spot for a 50" HD plasma!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.