AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding viewing distance for two TV's i have. The first TV is a 61inch Sammy DLP 1080p and the other is a 42 inch Philips Ambilight 2 LCD. I just purchased a house and am trying to figure out which room to put which TV. Ultimately i would like a "theater room" and have one TV in there and the other in the living room. The viewing distance for the theater room is approx 8.5-9 feet, and the living room is 12.5-13 feet. I know logic would say to put the bigger TV in the bigger room, but im curious to see if the 61 inch in the smaller room would be too close (or if the smaller set in the bigger room would be too small).

The idea being that when i want to hang out with fiancee and watch TV shows we watch in living room, but when i want to hit the ole PS3, watch football or just retire to the man cave, i go to the theater room. Any thoughts or calculations that can help?

I apologize for putting this in another forum, not sure where it should be posted

·
Registered
528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmetaternuts /forum/post/0

when i want to hit the ole PS3, watch football or just retire to the man cave, i go to the theater room.

Wow, you are very lucky, fiancee AND a theater room / mancave.

http://www.carltonbale.com/2006/11/1080p-does-matter/

That said, depending upon your furniture arrangement, a strong case

can be made to make the theater room more engaging than

the livingroom. Movies have very large screens, so the movie room

may warrant the bigger tv. Since she's still a fiancee, you could probably

upgrade the smaller one too. (hurry though.....)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thast exactly what i was thinking, but i didnt want to "overpower" the room or cause some serious eye strain or damage. 8 feet seems to be a good distance. The room will be set up with the TV on a main wall. Itll have a mini fridge and two DVD racks next to it. Speakers mounted on wall. The seating area will be against opposite wall (8.5 feet from TV) and on side wall to left of screen if looking at it. Its actually a second bedroom, but im turning it into a theater/media room. Guest rooms seem to be a waste so im making something of it.

Any other thoughts/ideas on this one? Does the distance seem to be ok for a 61 DLP?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The more and more i think about it, the DLP is going in the smaller room just so i can be immersed in a movie, or a football game when im watching it.....The livign room will ahve the smaller one, it will lookc leaner being mounted on wall with cables through the wall.

Just wanted to get some thoughts to see if the distance was too short or if it would cause some serious eye strain. Any other thoughts or ideas are appreciated

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thsi is a great topic. I will be sitting 12-13' away from my TV, and I am looking at the 65" Sharp, or a 52" Sony. This is in the living room, so I do have concerns about overpowering the room, but I figure since I am going LCD that should mitigate that somewhat.

Is 65" too big?

·
Registered
206 Posts
its totally not way too big........then again I have an lcd projector......I sit 8.5 feet from 106 inches and its only 720p so I imagine you'll be fine.

then again; you could always dump a grand on a projector before your sack gets clipped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.