AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on the equipment (hub) room of the HT and have a couple questions.

What is the generally excepted speaker wire guage used on front L,R,C speakers? I ask because from what I can tell most HTs have the amps/receivers quite a way from the front speakers, and I always thought you should have longer interconnects and shorter speaker cable runs.

The distance from rack to front speakers in my case will be around 30-50ft. I'm not concerned with the surrounds.

Secondly, I have a conduit coming from the ceiling in my "hub" room where I have all my cables running to the rack. I was going to buy a heap of wall plates and terminate all the cables there, so as to look neat. Will the extra connections in the system cause any significant losses? Or should i leave the cables hanging straight out and directly wire them to the rack?

I currently want to terminate DVI, speakers, cat6 and TV antenna. The cat6 won't be a problem either way, but I am a little worried about the DVI. Its a good quality cable, but its 30ft long already. Terminating it on a wall plate then running another cable to the VP concerns me. Or am I worrying about nothing? The TV cable is another worry, as reception isn't great to start with.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, thanks. That made for some very intersting and entertaining reading.

10AWG it is!

That just leaves me with the antenna. Again, I was told that connections degrade the signal. I guess I will just have to try it first.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
But in looking at the chart, for 8 ohms, you can use 16awg for 48 feet. But 10awg won't hurt either, it's just the cost and size. Perhaps a good compromise is 12awg.

Roger Russell was a former engineering manager from McIntosh since the mid 1960s. He's an EE from a respected school and knows his stuff.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah you are right. I can probably goto 12AWG, and the price difference is almost half! Space isn't a problem, but I might still consider the 10AWG when the time comes. Just for piece of mind. Its less than $100...

What are your thoughts on the DVI? Digital, so doesn't really matter? within reason of course.

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/16944516

I would run HDMI rather than DVI, If your current gear is DVI use and adapter. Your next gear is likely to be HDMI.

Thanks for the tip.

My 30ft PJ cable is HDMI (PJ end) and DVI the other. My Lumagen VP is DVI out. So I might have to stick with the DVI, and use an adapter if I ever get rid of the VP.

Is an andapter likely to cause any problems ?

Scruffy, I hear you on the DVI cables! I paid $300USD for the 30footer. Although thats probably not extravagant. I steer clear of Monstercables....

·
Registered
893 Posts
Might as well run component and cat 6 to the PJ as well, just in case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Normally I would agree with you on not spending a lot of money on cables, but the one area where I would disagree is in 25 plus foot HDMI cables, cheap long HDMI cables often fail, and in the long run your much better off having a quality cable in place. Just my two cents.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,150 Posts
Cheap long distance HDMI doesn't mean "often fails" now I would agree that "Crap often fails."

I'd like to see a study of failure rates of value cables (Monoprice) versus a well know premium brand (Monster) before I would accept that statement. I'm not sure that length has anything to do with a failure rate but rather the concern over if it works at all in the beginning due to signal strength loss.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA-SF /forum/post/17008939

Normally I would agree with you on not spending a lot of money on cables, but the one area where I would disagree is in 25 plus foot HDMI cables, cheap long HDMI cables often fail, and in the long run your much better off having a quality cable in place. Just my two cents.

Proof?

I have bought and used 5 50 foot monoprice and 1 75 foot monoprice HDMI cables and they all perform flawlessly.

There are many many more reviews on their site of the cables that also concur.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I don't consider Monoprice a "cheap cable". They are highly reasonably priced but still a good quality cable. I think AVA-SF means the really low cost no name cables you can find online.

Those who know me here know I despise overpriced cables. However a have to agree for a long HDMI cable you should buy a known brand. Note I didn't say an expensive brand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts