Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question to Zenith HDV 420 owners:

I just picked up the Zenith box at CC. I bought the Zenith Silver Sensor after reading about antennas on this forum. I live in So Cal (91411) and with the Zenith i am only able to receive CBS, NBC, ABC, WB, and FOX. No matter where I position the antenna I cant seem to get KCAL or UPN. After reading over the Zenith Manual, has anyone actually used the "10db attenuator"? My signal for the channels I receive is in the good range. Is it possible that my signal is strong enough to warrant the use of the 10db attenuator to receive KCAL or UPN? i've searched the forum and havent found any posts regarding this topic. thanks in advance and i still think AVS is the best resource when a problem pops up....

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
It's not too difficult to try, if it doesn't work there are other alternatives.

The silver sensor is a great little indoor antenna, but it still isn't gonna perform like a roof antenna with perhaps a rotor.

I think it's truly phenomenal that you're able to get as many channels as you already are with an indoor antenna!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response. being a newbie to HD, i've just found out that KCAL does not broadcast any HD. that explains why i cant receive that channel. however, i still have one question. upn broadcasts enterprise and jake 2.0 on tues/wed night (i forget which) so does that mean UPN does not come in on any other day? does that imply that in order to test if i receive upn, do i have to try during the one of those two programs? i guess i should be happy with the performance of the silver sensor, as i live probably 30 miles from the broadcast station and still receive CBS, NBC, ABC, WB, and FOX already.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I'm in Fresno, and I'm guessing you're in the LA area, so I don't know what the situation is regarding UPN HD in your area. My local UPN affilliate does broadcast digitally, and Enterprise and Jake 2.0 show up as HD in my Sony HD-200's guide, but the station does not in fact have the capability to broadcast in HD. The cost of passing the HD signal is way over and above that of just getting a digital signal on the air and in my relatively small market I doubt if UPN will ever be in HD. Although all my local stations have digital signals up except pbs (9 in total) only 3 are passing HD from their respective networks.

I'd suggest you post an inquiry over in the Local HD reception forum with your location in the header--should get plenty of response from others in your area that can answer your question. Wish I could be more help.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
When a station is broadcasting digitally, it will normally do so whether or not an HD broadcast is happening, especially in primetime.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Ratbrain, you should be able to get the following digital stations with your 420-SS combo (at least those that are broadcasting). Per antennaweb.org

DTV AntennaType CallSign Channel Network City State LiveDate CompassOrientation MilesFrom FrequencyAssignment

* yellow - uhf KTLA-DT 5.1 WB Los Angeles CA 67° 22.7 31

* yellow - uhf KWHY-DT 22.1 IND LOS ANGELES CA 67° 22.7 42

* yellow - uhf KPXN-DT 38 PAX SAN BERNARDINO CA 04-04 70° 22.9 38

* yellow - uhf KXLA-DT 44.1 IND RANCHO PALOS VERDES CA 67° 22.7 51

* yellow - uhf KRCA-DT 62.1 IND RIVERSIDE CA 70° 22.9 68

* yellow - uhf KDOC-DT 32 IND ANAHEIM CA Currently Not Available 67° 22.7 32

* yellow - uhf KTTV-DT 11.1 FOX Los Angeles CA 68° 22.8 65

* yellow - uhf KMEX-DT 34.1 UNI LOS ANGELES CA 67° 22.7 35

* yellow - uhf KCAL-DT 9.1 IND LOS ANGELES CA 67° 22.7 43

* yellow - uhf KCBS-DT 2.1 CBS Los Angeles CA 66° 22.4 60

* yellow - uhf KNBC-DT 4.1 NBC Los Angeles CA 68° 22.7 36

* yellow - uhf KJLA-DT 57.1 IND VENTURA CA 67° 22.7 49

* yellow - uhf KCET-DT 28.1 PBS Los Angeles CA 68° 22.9 59

* yellow - uhf KAZA-DT 54.1 AZA AVALON CA 67° 22.7 54

* yellow - uhf KABC-DT 7.1 ABC Los Angeles CA 67° 22.7 53

* green - uhf KCOP-DT 13.1 UPN Los Angeles CA 67° 22.7 66

* green - uhf KLCS-DT 58.1 PBS LOS ANGELES CA 68° 22.9 41

* green - uhf KOCE-DT 48.1 PBS HUNTINGTON BEACH CA 67° 22.7 48

* green - uhf KVEA-DT 39 TEL CORONA CA 03-04 70° 22.9 39

* red - uhf KFTR-DT 47 TFA ONTARIO CA Awaiting FCC Permit 67° 22.7 47

* red - uhf KTBN-DT 23 TBN SANTA ANA CA Awaiting FCC Permit 68° 22.9 23

* red - uhf KSCI-DT 18.1 IND LONG BEACH CA 70° 22.9 61

Looks to me like you're in a great spot. Just about 22 miles away. All the broadcast antennas oriented @ 67-70 degrees (you can fix mount your Silver sensor!). You should not need an attenuator, if you are not getting the channels, move the antenna up and/or outside until you do get them all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.