AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on my first receiver in 10+years. Question regarding zones...especially concerning this receiver.

Background on my set-up. Room #1 will have my home theater, Room #2 will be a bar, and Room #3 will be a work out area. With the 5890, can I hook up Room #3 without the aid of an additional amp? My newbie understanding is that some receivers require an additional amp to power another zone. I've looked at the user manual on-line, and to be honest I wasn't able to answer my own question. It goes without saying that the BB guy wasn't much help as well.

Thanks for your time!!

·
Registered
16,901 Posts
The receiver only has 7 channels of amplification. You will definitely need an amp for Zone3. You will also need an amp for Zone2 if your home theater will have more than 5 channels and you'd like to use Zone2 and the home theater simultaneously. The receiver does appear to have the capability to assign 2 channels of amplification to either the surround back speakers or the presence/zone2 speakers, but not both at the same time. The receiver does allow connection of another pair of speakers to Zone1's front channels for use in another room, but this will have limited utility when the home theater is in use.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.