AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I am new to this site, but it looks like there are a lot of really helpful and informed people on here. If anyone could please help me with this issue, I would be eternally grateful:

I recently purchased a 50" Panasonic Plasma 1080P S2. We are currently in the "breaking in" stage, where we lower the brightness/contrast/sharpness.

The problem is that the picture does not look very good. The high definition looks good, but the clarity or smoothness of the picture does not. I would describe the look as rough, pixelated, or grainy. This is most noticeable to me when looking at solid colors. It is not catastrophically bad, but it is fairly noticeable. Also, I have not noticed it on any TVs (LCD or Plasma) I looked at in the store, nor on any of my friends TVs.

At first I thought the picture settings may have been causing this, so I (briefly) turned up the brightness/sharpness settings but did not notice a change. I also played with the aspect ratio just to try, but to no avail.

Also, before this TV, we had brought home a 46" 750 series Samsung LCD. The picture on this TV looked great, but we returned it due to high input lag for the Xbox 360.

We had used the same HDMI cables for the Panasonic as we had for the Samsung, so it makes me think that they are not the issue.

Is this graininess issue a problem with the model itself, or a rare defect in a new TV? Does this go away after the TV gets broken in?

Thanks for reading this post. Any advice, comments, suggestions or information about this problem would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks to all replies in advance.

- Mike in Pennsylvania

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by honor man /forum/post/18263800

Hey everyone. I am new to this site, but it looks like there are a lot of really helpful and informed people on here. If anyone could please help me with this issue, I would be eternally grateful:

I recently purchased a 50" Panasonic Plasma 1080P S2. We are currently in the "breaking in" stage, where we lower the brightness/contrast/sharpness.

The problem is that the picture does not look very good. The high definition looks good, but the clarity or smoothness of the picture does not. I would describe the look as rough, pixelated, or grainy. This is most noticeable to me when looking at solid colors. It is not catastrophically bad, but it is fairly noticeable. Also, I have not noticed it on any TVs (LCD or Plasma) I looked at in the store, nor on any of my friends TVs.

At first I thought the picture settings may have been causing this, so I (briefly) turned up the brightness/sharpness settings but did not notice a change. I also played with the aspect ratio just to try, but to no avail.

Also, before this TV, we had brought home a 46" 750 series Samsung LCD. The picture on this TV looked great, but we returned it due to high input lag for the Xbox 360.

We had used the same HDMI cables for the Panasonic as we had for the Samsung, so it makes me think that they are not the issue.

Is this graininess issue a problem with the model itself, or a rare defect in a new TV? Does this go away after the TV gets broken in?

Thanks for reading this post. Any advice, comments, suggestions or information about this problem would be GREATLY appreciated.

- Mike in Pennsylvania

If it's in Dynamic mode change it to Standard, then reduce the sharpness to about 1/4 to 1/3 of it's maximum value. This will give a softer looking picture than that 750 had but should eliminate most of the graininess and actually give you more detail in the picture. If any "noise reduction" "edge enhancement" or similar features are turned on, turn them off. Give it as long as possible to break in and put as many hours on it as possible before your return window expires--these tend to look significantly less harsh with use. If you still don't like it take it back and get either a Samsung or LG--they tend to look smoother than Panasonics initially but are a bit more prone to image retention.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by honor man /forum/post/18263800

- Mike in Pennsylvania

Mike,

First off disregard the last response, I know the gentleman was trying to help but it's obvious he doesn't own a 12g panny plasma.

Most Panny owners complain about the softness of all Panny plasma but once you get used to to them it's hard to find a comparable picture.

Your issue though is not a soft picture, first off

1. what's your source, cable box, over the air ?

2. what picture mode are you using, vivid, standard, cinema, custom ? There is no dynamic mode !

3. Do you have a Bluray player ?

Depending on your answers will be the fixes.

First try viewing on Cinema mode in either normal or warm setting, Cinema mode is the only pic mode that takes advantage of the 600mhz sub field the tv offers, but it only helps motion blurr and not grainyness.

I, like many others on here have the S1 model which is 12th generation (12g ) Panny plasma which is the same as the newer S2 models. It sounds more like a source or content issue, standard def will magnify this the most. I looked at an 50S2, I have a 50S1, at BB and it looks identical, the pic quality I mean. But so do all the other plasmas on display

Also you will use different UM ( user menu ) settings then you are probably used to. Most of us with the S1's have calibrated our sets by going in to the SM ( service menu ) to take the green tint out of the greyscale, in other words make white, white. There is a very useful thread here www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1127194&page=250 This is where we all hang out. It will yield some very useful info

I will check back for your reply here and see what else I can help you with,

Steve

·
Registered
129 Posts
I initially bought an S1, and I also noticed the grainy appearance. It was especially noticeable when viewing the menu characters. I ended up going with a G15 for other reasons.

However, from a normal viewing distance it looked fine. Maybe the S2 is using the same panel?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I think you're talking about dithering, and quite normal for the plasma technology, specifically Panasonic. You can combat it by setting to Custom or Cinema, and knocking your brightness and contrast down.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello, new here... 

I just bought a panasonic 50st60.  Its my first ever plasma and the grainy dithering appearance is disheartening, especially after hearing how good the picture quality is supposed to be. Producing awesome blacks is great, but what about  other colours? dithering colours doesn't cut it.  Its not noticeable afar and while absorbed in a good movie. Just feel slightly let down.  My fault not going in store and checking it out.  

Would be good to find out ways to reduce the dithering effect 

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebaz  /t/1232976/question-panasonic-plasma-s2-looks-grainy-help/0_100#post_24183424

Hello, new here... 

I just bought a panasonic 50st60.  Its my first ever plasma and the grainy dithering appearance is disheartening, especially after hearing how good the picture quality is supposed to be. Producing awesome blacks is great, but what about  other colours? dithering colours doesn't cut it.  Its not noticeable afar and while absorbed in a good movie. Just feel slightly let down.  My fault not going in store and checking it out.  

Would be good to find out ways to reduce the dithering effect 

Calibration, calibration, calibration. All plasmas have this issue and it usually shows up when watching compressed content like broadcasts and streaming. Check your picture settings. Improper gamma, contrast, brightness settings.. etc will increase the appearance of dithering. I have an S60 and it is barely noticeable on most Blu-Rays.

Ian

Reactions: unclebaz
1 - 8 of 8 Posts