AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
Sony A90J panel; Marantz SR7015 AVR; Paradigm Signature speakers; Oppo 203 and Panasonic 820 UHD BR.
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think having allowed the dust settle a bit, I would like to ask the obvious question that I know several folks have asked themselves: Knowing what you now know or have experienced with the JVC RS-20/HD-750, would you purchase this unit/ again, and if not, what might be your first or second choice as an alternative ?

I just have to say that this unit, as a strong perspective buyer, is a disappointment from what was portrayed by JVC, and Lawguy so eloquently articulated the point. I feel bad for Mike, Kutlow especially, and others in what they have gone through. Tom feels that color and other aspects of this unit are still superior to the RS-1/2, and that's good to hear ! I feel like I might owe SOWK an apology as I may have been to rough on him pronouncing the RS-20 (paraphrasing) as a little better (but not a big jump) than RS-1/2, but not a leap (time may possibly say otherwise, we can hope).

So I put the question out there for the forum. If this is a place for venting, so be it, but maybe limit the vitrol.
(there may be women and children listening !)

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
We are picking nits. The RS20 is a great projector and a firmware revision away from being amazing.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I would still buy it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I feel like this unit is a great value. No issues with mine.

People who buy projectors before units have shipped might reasonably expect that some small problems will be identified and worked around. If you aren't that type of person, then you should only look for units that have been shipping for 3 months or more.

·
Registered
874 Posts
After reading the reviews of production RS-20s all I can say is thank goodness I trusted my own intuition and purchased a Panasonic PT-AE3000 for a 75% lower price, saving me thousands!!

At one point I had actually considered the hype that the RS-20 was the "holy grail" lol.

·
Registered
Sony A90J panel; Marantz SR7015 AVR; Paradigm Signature speakers; Oppo 203 and Panasonic 820 UHD BR.
4,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ferguson /forum/post/15485174

I feel like this unit is a great value. No issues with mine.

People who buy projectors before units have shipped might reasonably expect that some small problems will be identified and worked around. If you aren't that type of person, then you should only look for units that have been shipping for 3 months or more.

Ah, I think that this may be sage advice.

These really are VERY positive responses.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I owned an RS-1, and have seen RS-2. Those with RS-20 as their first projector, or as first foray into DILA would have no second thoughts. Those with RS-2 could wait and see if RS30 (or whatever next model number is), compared to RS20, offers tighter convergence, better CMS, robust lens assembly, etc. Those with RS-1 should benefit from switch though not day-and-night or stratlingly superior, but an incremental improvement in my view (with limited experience thus far with RS20).

·
Registered
900 Posts
For those with a RS2, like myself, getting a RadianceXD might be a better option than getting a RS20, if you just want Gamut corrections. Plus, you can use all the other benefits (CMS, etc) in a later display. I was really debating "upgrading" due to the CMS of the RS20, but from what I have read, a true 3D CMS is better than what the RS20 come with. I'm I off base with this reasoning?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm very happy with mine. Bright, extremely sharp, good color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle /forum/post/15485203

After reading the reviews of production RS-20s all I can say is thank goodness I trusted my own intuition and purchased a Panasonic PT-AE3000 for a 75% lower price, saving me thousands!

You need to be careful comparing prices, I don't think many are paying anything close to list price for the RS20. My friend down the block as an AE3000. He couldn't believe I was spending 2x more for a JVC. His AE3000 was so sharp and so bright that he thought it couldn't get much better.

Then he saw my RS20. He says my RS20 is brighter than is AE3000 (despite the AE3000 being specced much higher) and he's in awe of the blacks. He's used to a very visible gray background. I put up some test patterns (just a gray ramp and some convergence patterns). "My Panny can't do that!" (he didn't specify where the panny was less good).

He now understands why I got the RS20.

Yes, I'd buy it again.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavromatis /forum/post/15486326

For those with a RS2, like myself, getting a RadianceXD might be a better option than getting a RS20, if you just want Gamut corrections. Plus, you can use all the other benefits (CMS, etc) in a later display. I was really debating "upgrading" due to the CMS of the RS20, but from what I have read, a true 3D CMS is better than what the RS20 come with. I'm I off base with this reasoning?

I don't think I'd upgrade if I had an RS2 or even an RS1. IanB (RS1 owner) was down to see my RS20. The RS20 throws a better picture, but I don't get the impression it was a huge difference in real material. Get a processor to fix the color (if it bothers you) and be done with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Given all the reported lens shift problems (me included) with the initial wave of RS-20s, anyone who says they're not concernd about long-term reliability, is in denial. I frankly don't know what other alternatives are out there since I decided several months ago to go with the RS-20 based on the high expectations. While for the price, PQ may be outstanding, if the thing won't stay put together, what's it really worth.

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle76092 /forum/post/15486439

Given all the reported lens shift problems (me included) with the initial wave of RS-20s, anyone who says they're not concernd about long-term reliability, is in denial. I frankly don't know what other alternatives are out there since I decided several months ago to go with the RS-20 based on the high expectations. While for the price, PQ may be outstanding, if the thing won't stay put together, what's it really worth.

If the lens shift is really a wide spread problem, that could mean a lot of "B-Stock" RS-20's which might be nice for people wanting to pick one up for even less.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeyer /forum/post/15486356

I don't think I'd upgrade if I had an RS2 or even an RS1. IanB (RS1 owner) was down to see my RS20. The RS20 throws a better picture, but I don't get the impression it was a huge difference in real material. Get a processor to fix the color (if it bothers you) and be done with it.

In my case - the RS20 was a HUGE step up over my RS1. Mostly because of improved black level and elimination of bright corners. Although shading, greyscale and convergence are all better too. Not to mention quieter fan, NO light spill, motorized optics (eliminating sub shaking lens), anamorphic stretch, adjustable iris, and fairly accurate (now) THX mode. Did I mention that the RS20 was a HUGE step up from my RS1?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts