AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone can explain a phenomenon I have observed when trying to calibrate my JVC G-15 projector with Avia.

I was Avia-calibrating a new DVD player today, which is mated with a Rock+ and the G-15. When I use Avia and calibrate the colors according the Avia disk, the picture appears somewhat washed out or pale in terms of coloration. In fact, my saturations on the Rock+ were around the 115 to 120 range, which I believe is quite a bit below the default (which I seem to recall as being 140). When I pump up the saturation to what looks good to my eye, it is around the 150 level.

I also observed this phenomenon with the Quadscan Elite to a much greater degree. When I calibrated with Avia using the Quadscan, the picture was pitiful as far as color saturation. I had to pump it up quite a bit to get it to look right.

When I calibrate with Avia just using the DVD player's progressive output into the G-15, on the other hand, the picutre looks fine. In fact, it looks like what the picture on the Rock+ looks like when I pump up the saturation a tad.

Why is it that the calibration with Avia while using a video processor seems to result in a picture that is washed out, while this does not happen with the DVD player being fed straight into the projector? Has anybody else notice this, or am I doing something really wrong?

·
Registered
271 Posts
When you calibrated with Rock+ in circuit, what is scaler output scan rate?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I now have the Rock+ set to output 48hz, but the results I believe were similar with 75.1hz.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Okay, but I meant the horizontal rate - 480p/720p/etc. I was going to say simply, the projector might be seeing a different scan rate and working from a different configuration memory compared to the progressive DVD at [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.