AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Pioneer 540/640H-S DVD player. Most of the DVDs I'm hiring lately (checked to ensure they are clean) are getting stuck at various points during the movie; often repeatedly. Mostly, they get to a point in the movie, freeze for several seconds, then the playback stops. I can re-start, but they inevitably freeze again in the same spots. Often happening so often that the movie is unwatchable. I play them on another cheaper DVD player and they sometimes stick, but not as badly or as often. Is it my player at fault? I could accept that happens every now & then with a hired DVD, but it's happened to the last 8-10 DVDs I've hired. My player is about 2-3 years old. Is there a cleaning regime for the player itself? Could the internals require cleaning or maintenance? Any suggestions appreciated.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by safemate /forum/post/15522340

I've got a Pioneer 540/640H-S DVD player. Most of the DVDs I'm hiring lately (checked to ensure they are clean) are getting stuck at various points during the movie; often repeatedly. Mostly, they get to a point in the movie, freeze for several seconds, then the playback stops. I can re-start, but they inevitably freeze again in the same spots. Often happening so often that the movie is unwatchable. I play them on another cheaper DVD player and they sometimes stick, but not as badly or as often. Is it my player at fault? I could accept that happens every now & then with a hired DVD, but it's happened to the last 8-10 DVDs I've hired. My player is about 2-3 years old. Is there a cleaning regime for the player itself? Could the internals require cleaning or maintenance? Any suggestions appreciated.

That the problem occurs to some degree on more than one player points to the discs. They are clean and unscratched? They are regular commercial printings and not someone's burned copies or printed bootlegs?

On the player I would suspect some fluff interfering with the laser, or loose connections. First try blowing compressed air through the loading slot. If that doesn't help, open up the box, blow out the dust and make sure all the chips and cable connectors are seated tightly. Reseat them if they are removable.

If that doesn't work I would give up.

-Bill

1 - 2 of 2 Posts