AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this month's print version of Sound & Vision, a guy writes that he gets HBOHD & ShowHD through his Time Warner in MN, using a Digital Scientific Atlanta box he got through TW Cable.

My question is this:

If I have these two channels listed in my menu on TW Cable here in NC, and I have a WEGA XBR TV, would this cable box act as the "HD tuner" for me, or would I have to connect cable Box-->HD Tuner-->TV?

------------------

"The Living Room Theatre"
  • Sony 36XBR400
  • Sony STR-DE945
  • Pioneer Elite DV-C36
  • Definitive Tech. (4)PC80's,

PC100 center, ProSub 10

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
You need a special digital HDTV cable converter that connects directly to your HDTV or HDTV-ready set. Locally, Time Warner delivers a similar series of HDTV channels, issuing a limited number (beta-test) of Scientific Atlanta 2000HDs for decoding and viewing them. Subscribers that have SA2000 or SA2100 digital decoders might be able to see the HDTV channels listed, but these converters have decoders only for the compressed standard NTSC channels (and analog), not HDTV. A very few cable firms, such as TWC here, also send out HDTV in the 8-VSB format, identical to over the air broadcasts. I've been viewing these for a while, splitting my cable signal and feeding one output into my HDTV tuner, the other into a SA2000 digital cable converter. Often, cable representatives may not even be aware their company is delivering these 8-VSB HDTV signals. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 06-24-2001).]

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have tw cable also and get the hd channels. I have the hd cable converter box. Although I am feeding it into a set with a built-in hd tuner, I believe that you will not have to use an hd stb. The cable box will connect to your set via component cables for hd channels and via s-video, composite or rf for everything else. Doesn't hurt to try, the box costs the same as the one you have, they just switch it out. You do have to be on digital cable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.