AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the HDTV arena and I just got a Mitsub. 65" HDVT upgrad. TV and I was interested in getting the Hughes E68 to receive Off The Air HDTV locals as well as Directv HDTV channels (I know they are just a couple...but..). My question is: Right now my TV says that I'm receiving the 480i signal, which from what I understood here is a low quality picture. So, will the Hughes E68 be able to convert the current 480i signal to 1080i when they are not HDTV signals? What I'm trying to say is will this receiver on non HDTV channels be able to convert from 480i to 1080i or it will bradcast non HDVT channels no matter what on 1080i?

Sorry, this maybe a very silly question.... I just need to understand.

Thankk you in advance,

Federico

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think your question is answered in this thread .

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
garlandpr...welcome to AVS Forum. I believe you are referring to the Hughes E-86 HD receiver. The Hughes upcoverts all signals to 1080i. However, it is not HD unless it is a native 1080i signal. It will look better in some cases than what you are used to, and in other cases it may not look as good (especially on some overly compressed DIRECTV stations). However native 1080i will look awesome. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The E86 outputs 480i through the S-Video, composite, and RF outputs. It outputs 1080i through the component outputs. The 2 resolutions are not output simultaneaously. One or the other must be chosen through the menu or the remote.

If the input resolution is different from the output, it is indeed converted. Be aware that many people prefer viewing 480i material in its native form rather than convert it to 1080i. Conversion involves some degree of loss of quality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.