AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comparing Mits HD1000 and Optoma HD70, Why do they have different AR control capability? If my dvd player was output 720P and the image format was 4X3, The Optoma can control AR to display correct AR, but HD 1000 can't. In order to display correct AR, DVD player had to lower its rez to output 480P. Can someone tell me why?

Xiaoyu,

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I can certainly understand how that function can be helpful in certain situations, but one should also recognize that technically, there should not be a reason to use it on HD material (at least from a display manufacturer's POV). The Mits assumes that a 720 or 1080 signal will aways be in some widescreen format and therefore one should never actually need to correct for a 4x3 HD signal. They are far from the only manufacturer that doesn't on HD material - plenty of other TVs won't do this as well. Just count the feature as one of the advantages the Optoma offers.

·
Registered
362 Posts
So the projector is stuck in 16:9 mode with anything above 720p? That's not good if you're wanting to watch a lot of older movies, many of which weren't filmed in widescreen.

The question then becomes: how does the HD1000 handle 480p material? With standard DVDs is there a big difference between upscaled 720p and 480p?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does Optoma HD70 re-scale the 720p input signal to get 960X720 (4X3)? I knew several projectors do the same thing like HD1000 does.

I had Mits HC900 (native 1024X576) before HD70, but I could control AR (4X3) for 576p input, not for 720p. 576p feeding to HC900 and 720p feeding to HD1000 are both native RZ signal for each projector. Why can one control 4X3 AR and one can't?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.