·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have question regarding my setup with HDMI cables.this is what i have:

SONY BLUE-RAY

SONY LCD 720(3 YEARS OLD)ONLY 1 HDMI INPUT

ATT UVERSE CABLE BOX

i just got my blu-ray player,since i only have 1 hdmi input on the sony tv, i bought a Apogee 3x1 mini switcher v1.3b 1080p 25m amplified.

i am going to plug my cable box and blu-ray into the switcher and then the switcher into the Sony tv hdmi input.

i will need 3 HDMI cables for this setup. can i use "standard"category 1 or do i need "ultra high speed" category 2 cables?.

I heard that i would definatly need category 2 cable for the blu-ray hook up, but will it matter if tv is only 720?

also, will ultra high speed category 2 quality be better than category 1 on my 720 tv? or will it not matter beacause i dont have a 1080 tv?

thanks for any help...appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
For 720 just about any cable will work, particularly for short distances (

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well, actually any length cable can be Category 2 certified or not. Cat 2 does not really make cable physically different - it is just a basic guarantee that it'll work at higher speeds. A non-Cat2 cable might deliver just as well a Cat 2.

Now, none of these cables NEED to be Cat2, since none of them is likely to carry 1080p signal. You most likely will need to set you bluray and cable box to output 720p or 1080i, since there is no guarantee your TV will 'understand' 1080p signal (Newer 720p TVs can take 1080p and downgrade it, but but older ones might fail to show any picture if fed 1080p)

That said, given the price difference between Cat2 and non-Cat2 at places like monoprice, there is really no reason to NOT get Cat2. I mean, it'll be a total of $4-5 more for all 3 cables. Then, if you upgrade to a 1080p TV, you definitely won't need new cables.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts