AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the correct forum to post this question; I am ceiling mounting a Ruby which falls in the above $3,000 category so I felt it would qualify here.

We are in the process of finishing our room where the projector will be ceiling mounted. I am currently pre-wiring for HDMI, DVI and electrical to where the ceiling mount will be located.

My question is how to make the ceiling interface look as clean as possible. I have seen HDMI and DVI mounting plates that you connect your long run to on the inside of the drywall. Then, you have only a short run of wire from the wall plate to the projector. This gives you a clean professional look at the ceiling interface. My concern about doing this is possible signal degradation caused by the mounting plate connector. I have always been of the understanding you want as direct a signal as possible.

How have others here on the forum wired their projectors with ceiling mounts? The only other idea I have is to not put a cover plate outside of the gang box and run the cables directly to the projector through the gang box. This would leave a rectangular hole in the ceiling equal to the size of the gang box. I just can't imagine that is the typical way of doing this; especially with the perfectionists on AVS.

Any suggestions on how I might approach this?

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
You can hide the wire "escape" above the PJ mount, then all you see is the wires from the PJ looping up to above it and they disappear.

Another option is to get some sort of flex tubing to cover the wires.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You're right to worry about using mounting plates and thereby causing signal degradation. HDMI and DVI have particular problems with using mounting plates. The break in the run causes impedence problems which may affect the ability to get a picture. Read this article to get more technical info regarding problems with HDMI

http://www.audioholics.com/education...tter-with-hdmi

p.s. the same issues identified in this article also apply to DVI as DVI is constructed in a similiar way to HDMI.

Also, for most ceiling mounted applications, you're looking at a 30 foot to 35 foot run of cable. HDMI and DVI is already a dicey situation at that length. So adding a mounting plate and creating a break in the cable is not advised. At shorter lengths, it is o.k.

I use these plates at both ends when doing my installs:

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...uct_id=50-8808

If you mount the plate fairly to the ceiling mount, you would only need to expose several inches of cable. Omnimount's projector mounts use a hollow pipe and have a hole at the top so you can run the wire down to the pipe. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I vote against a mounting plate with a HDMI/DVI socket on it. You can get many different plates that you can feed a single wire - or multiple wires through: a blank plate that you drill whatever size hole through that you want - pre-drilled plates with different size holes - split plates with holes already drilled, etc... one example:
http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog...oducts_id=7011

I run a 33 foot DVI to HDMI cable from monoprice.com - it works perfectly at 1080p60.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I made a ceiling mount using a section of 4" PVC pipe. I ran a long threaded rod through the length of it that bolts in to a bracket at the ceiling and a plate at the projector end. The projector is then bolted to the plate. The cables exit the ceiling inside the pipe then exit the side of the pipe at the projector end. My cables are completely hidden. I'll post a pic if you like.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I am also using a 2" pipe to hang from the ceiling, but, I can't hide my wires inside because the top end of the pipe is centered against the bottom of a floor joist. I have to come out of the drywall to either side of the joist instead.

I like the idea of using the gang box cover plate that is in two halves. That will solve my concealment issues. BTW, about how wide is a DVI and/or HDMI plug?

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
I am also using a 2" pipe to hang from the ceiling, but, I can't hide my wires inside because the top end of the pipe is centered against the bottom of a floor joist.

Same here. That's why I went with 4" pipe :).

·
Registered
345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch /forum/post/0

I am also using a 2" pipe to hang from the ceiling

Be careful how you position your Ruby; if too close to the ceiling and/or back wall, you could have the same thermal runaway problem I did. See in the Archive here for a detailed explanation.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Geeji for the heads-up. My Ruby will be dropped at least a foot from the ceiling. However, I will be 4-6 inches away from the back wall. I need to stay as far back as possible to maximize my screen size. I hope being down a foot will eliminate any heat issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts