AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm in the market to pull the trigger on a 37"-42" LCD TV from Best Buy. I'm specifically looking at the Phillips Ambilight 2 42" 1080p LCD (42PFL7432D)

My question is, why does this 1080p set only have 1,100:1 contrast ratio, while samsung's 1080p set has a 15,000:1 contrast ratio. This can't simply mean the samsung is 15x better with contrast ratio than the Phillips, can it? Same with Sony, I was looking at a Bravio 40" 720p LCD (KDL-40S3000), and the contrast ratio is only 1,600:1 compared to samsung's awesome 15,000:1, 7,000:1, etc.

I don't like Samsung's highly reflective glossy finish, otherwise I would probably pull the trigger on a samsung LCD.

On a separate note, does anyone have a good recommendation on a nice LCD set between 37-42" from Best Buy? It doesn't have to be 1080p, and cost isn't a huge factor, I just want a unit with great reviews and great PQ.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
10,222 Posts
Welcome to AVS.

Mfrs use different methods to measure and report contrast on their displays. The 15,000:1 figure on the Samsung represents dynamic contrast , while the 1100:1 on Philips may be static contrast. FWIW, the Samsung probably has a static ratio somewhere between 1000:1 and 2000:1 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealthology /forum/post/0

I don't like Samsung's highly reflective glossy finish, otherwise I would probably pull the trigger on a samsung LCD.

Are you referring to the glossy frame, or glossy finish on the screen itself? If it's the latter, then the Samsung 4061F may also be worth a look at BB. It has many of the same features (including 1080p) as the glossy-screened 4065F and 4066F, but with the standard matte type screen. (I rather prefer the glossies myself, but to each his own.)

Also check the comments on each model in the threads here before you decide which way to go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Without checking the specs myself, I'd guess that one is static and one is dynamic contrast ratio. Static contrast ratio is the ratio between the lightest and darkest pixels on the screen at the same time time, whereas dynamic is between pixels on different refreshes of the display. Dynamic contrast ratio can be 5 times what static is. Also, different manufacturers measure contrast ratio in different ways.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Gamesmanship. Contrast ratio is white (500 nits) divided by black in a darkroom. Black is tough since the backlight is on all the time. Typically the test comes out like 500 nits/ .25 nits, or a 2000 CR. Dynamic CR is a stupid number since it takes white with the backlight on all the way and uses black at a lower lever (some sets turns the BL up and down depending on the image). Yes, you get a bigger number but so what? The sets CR number is still the same.

BTW, put the set in a lit room and CR drops to about 25:1 (all sets, regardless).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts