AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been leeching from avs forums for awhile, but I finally broke down and made an account to ask a quick question.

If I picked up a POS 42" display model hdtv from target without a base/table stand, what would be the best way to find a stand? It seems like the only ones avaliable are over 50 dollars in cost, where as wall mounts are dirt cheap.

Is it viable to buy a wall mount, put it into the brackets on the tv, and instead of drilling into the wall(rented apartment, so I can't wall mount it yet), drill it into a set of metal plates or wood 2x4s that are attached to some sort of metal/wood base to temporarily put it on a tv stand for a year or so?

I've searched the forums, but i'm not sure anyone had a similar issue

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
As long as your supports can support the weight of the TV, sure that's fine. It would look really ugly, IMO, but it would work.

Why not find an old table or TV stand at a yard sale or the thrift store?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Wait, so the floor model TV you're buying doesn't come with the little foot for putting the TV on a flat surface? Every TV comes with that, so I would pass on it unless you're getting a major deal (50% off normal price). With the way floor model TVs are run ("torch mode", tons of people messing with it), I'd pass on it anyway. The lifetime has probably been shortened considerably.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well

it was a cheapo tv for use in a dorm apartment

for $250 for a 42" 1080p element TV is a decent deal in my mind

esp since later on i plan on just wall mounting it in a bedroom or kitchen, but for now, i was just wondering what my options could be

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
$250 is a good deal for a 42".

I would make sure that you can't drill in the wall. He may let you do it if it looks clean and you repair it when you move out.

If not, then you can definitely make a stand yourself. Just make sure it can support the TV. You don't want to wake up one morning to a broken TV on the floor when your home-made stand fails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.