AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am leaning towards a Sony KDF55WF655 with HD tuner. My question is this: With my theatre set-up, the only cable running to my current TV is video from my receiver. Will the HD channels from my cable provider be detected or does the coax need to be directly connected to the TV? Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I put it here b/c of the Sony reference. A little bit more about my current setup. Coax--> STB (non HD or digital yet)--->TIVO via RCA---->DVD Recorder and Receiver via RCA----->video to TV. All audio to speakers. Will I benefit from the HD tuner with this set-up?

· Registered
23 Posts
Not sure if i understand your question. But as far as i know, if you want HD from your cable company you need to pay extra for it and then you get certain ones depending on your companies different channels like(ESPN,Discovery,HDnet, HDmovies, etc.) The HD tuner inside your TV is only to pick up over-the-air HD programs(NBC,CBS,FOX,ABC) most primetime shows now are in HD now. The good part about that is you get it for free as long as your close enough to the tower. I'd call your cable company and talk with them but I wouldn't expect any HD channels for free from your cable company if thats what your asking.

As far a built in HD tuner, I have one in my Hitachi 60VS810. And i love it, right now i have DishNetwork and in my area they don't carry my local channels in HD, i just get ESPN,Discovery, etc. from them. With the HD tuner i get all my local channels in HD and it's free. With the TV you're talking about getting, i'd go with as much HD programing as you can get! It will blow your mind!

Hope this helps some.

· Registered
661 Posts
My suggestion is to run the DVI or component output from the HD Cable box (once you upgrade) directly to the TV. It sounds like you are using a receiver to switch your video and I would keep away from doing that if at all possible (the new Sony sets have enough inputs for most people to avoid this).

HD Cable Channels will not be detected on non-HD inputs.

· Registered
392 Posts
Double posting in forums! Thats a No No :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.