AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ps3 connected to a Yamaha RX-V1700 using hdmi. And the RX-V1700 connected to my LG 42" M4200C (dvi with hdcp) usind hdmi to dvi-d. Here is a link to my screen: http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/m4200c.jhtml

My DVI plug on the monitor is rated for [email protected]

Anyway the PS3 selected all possible resolutions. It says its using 1080p. The receiver says its receiving 1080p and delivering 1080p to my screen. But how is this possible? Looks good. Still I wonder how its possible? Is my monitor taking the image down to 768p?

I could never set my computer to 1920x1080 when it was connected usind dvi. Maximum was [email protected] So how is it possible that the ps3 is outputing 1080p to my monitor.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
A computer will block out resolutions based on its reading the monitor (there is some communication). What you typically get is a bunch of possible supported resolutions and then eventually the max as native resolution with the rest blocked out (you can enable windows to see them and force any resolution you want but it's a convenience and practicality thing). Your receiver isn't that advanced in communicating with the display, it just pumps out the resolution and if your display is able to accept it (even though it's not native or less), it can scale it down to present it in it's native resolution.

That couls be what's going on and it's logical. That said I didn't see the specs on your monitor (brochure was empty and it's late) so I can't offer more than a guess. Still it seems to fit.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB /forum/post/0

A computer will block out resolutions based on its reading the monitor (there is some communication). What you typically get is a bunch of possible supported resolutions and then eventually the max as native resolution with the rest blocked out (you can enable windows to see them and force any resolution you want but it's a convenience and practicality thing). Your receiver isn't that advanced in communicating with the display, it just pumps out the resolution and if your display is able to accept it (even though it's not native or less), it can scale it down to present it in it's native resolution.

That couls be what's going on and it's logical. That said I didn't see the specs on your monitor (brochure was empty and it's late) so I can't offer more than a guess. Still it seems to fit.

So I guess 1080p is the best setting for me then

·
Registered
6,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusr /forum/post/0

So I guess 1080p is the best setting for me then

- I wouldn't think it would be. Since most games are 720p native, you are basically having the PS3 scale the 720p to 1080p and then your TV is downscaling it back to it's native resolution.

If you set your PS3 to 720p, your TV would only scale it once.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/0

- I wouldn't think it would be. Since most games are 720p native, you are basically having the PS3 scale the 720p to 1080p and then your TV is downscaling it back to it's native resolution.

If you set your PS3 to 720p, your TV would only scale it once.

The PS3 doesn't scale more than a couple of games at this point (and it's an odd method of scaling anyway) so in reality with a couple (literally) exceptions the entire library will output either the max of 1080p or 720p if both are enabled. With a 768p native display it will scale all sources anyway but 720p is typically the better match.

Of course the issue becomes if you are using the BR player, it won't downscale to 720p so you are going to feed it a 1080 source anyway. And if you have 1080 disabled to get 720p from your games you wind up with 480p I'm pretty sure.

This is the whole game/scaling fubar and it burns people in this case but nothing like those of us who own 1080i displays which don't accept a 720p input and depend on the external device to provide scaling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.