AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a F38310 from Circuit City today for $1339 NIB. I checked the model number and it looks like I have a YX5 manufactured in May of 2002, so hopefully the have corrected some of the previously mentioned problems.

Here are a few questions I was hoping someone could answer. I am realitively new to the HDTV scene as I had a Samsung 30" EDTV prior to this RCA.

1. My picture is VERY dark. How do I adjust?

2. I have a small (4" long) line that moves back and forth across the TVw hile watching only CBS OTA HD. Could this be an issue with the channel, or does it sound like a tuner/TV problem.

3. I have a Samsung T150 STB. Should I use the internal tuner, or switch back to my STB?

4. How do I turn off SVM and/or should I on this set?

Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
You have saved about half of what I paid for mine which was $2999 June 2, 2001. Dr. Joe knows more about the SVM than I do. Each of us could be a important piece to your puzzle. If you want to know more about your F-38 read the calibration pages that start under Master Index in my signature below. :)

P.S. The 2 that add light is contrast and black level, but there is a brightness you can choose as your preference. You have your choice Bright, Normal, and soft lighting. Hit menu, then picture quality, then picture presets: choose from the 3 above. I have mine set to personal picture preset. You gain more confidence as you go along in owning the F-38

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
1. Use Avia Guide to Home Theater DVD (can be rented) to adjust contrast and black level.

2. The station may be having problems. Start a thread, giving your location and the call letters, and see if others have the same problem.

3. See if there are PQ, sensitivity, or convenience differences between the two tuners. See if both tuners have the same problem with the CBS channel. I like the numerical SS readout on the internal DTC-100.

4. There seem to be set-to-set differences in SVM function on the F38310

as well as differences in owner perception. If it is doing something that you find annoying, it isn't too difficult to disable by removing the back cover and unplugging a wire. (Turning sharpness all the way down does not disable SVM, and this setting also produces an unacceptably soft image.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I am going to rent Avia, which seems to be the first choice of any HD owner.

UncD2000, I will take those steps and see if I come up with anything. I agree of the sharpness. I tried it and it looked awful.

I think the CBS quirk was due to the signal.

The picture so far has been amazing.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.