AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really know much about this, since I don't own an AVR, but am curious...

I see recommendations everywhere to set the sub's gain knob so that the AVR gives it a gain of -3 to +3.

Now, the sub takes the signal from the AVR and amplifies it by whatever the gain is on the sub. If the gain on the sub is too low, the AVR has to increase the signal to compensate (a + setting for the sub on the AVR) and beyond a certain point the signal would clip either at the AVR or at the sub's input, probably before the point where the sub's amplifier or drivers would otherwise reach their limits.

On the other hand, the disadvantage of setting the sub's gain knob too high are, AFAICT, just a higher likelihood of damaging the sub in handling accidents. But I don't see a sonic disadvantage, other than possibly a higher noise floor if the sub's gain level is extremely high.

When the sub is EQed certain resonance frequencies will be lowered and it may be desirable to raise some nulls to a certain extent, as well as raising the whole response to compensate for the loss of energy in EQing out those peaks. Again it seems to me that this may potentially lead to clipping, especially if sub output is boosted at the AVR to taste, unless sub gain is adjusted higher to begin with.

Thoughts?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.