AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just ordered a Maelstrom-X II and I need to build a sealed enclosure. I am trying to determine the right volume for the box. I have used some of the available software but I still need some help. I have 3 basic questions:

1. Is 4 cubic feet the smallest acceptable enclosure? I noticed that by going up in volume to around 7 cubic feet the Qtc goes down to 0.59.

2. I will probably have to add the driver's and the bracing's volume into that, so have you got any idea what the driver's volume is? (4.5 lt?)

3. Filling the cabinet with some material might be an option. How do I choose the correct type and amount?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just built one myself this past weekend. I ended up with ~4.5cuft after driver and bracing and I loaded it with 4lbs of polyfill. So far I am very impressed and in room the response seems to go very low. My guess is that you will notice very little difference between 4 and 6 cuft, WinISD didn't show that much of a diff at least. I don't know if I would go much smaller than 4cuft though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't really know for sure but I my understanding was the exact opposite. As the Q of the enclosure goes down you gain efficiency and less power is required to obtain the same spl, but you will likely encounter Xmax sooner, so it is a balancing act of sorts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.