AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am in the process of doing a upgrade to my Home theater system. I need to get a new receiver and possibly a new DVD player. I am not interested in buying a HD DVD player yet, but I want to optimize my viewing experience for my extensive SDVD collection.

I own a Hitachi 65S500 CRT that is capable of max 1080i resolution. It has the capability of upscaling an 480i/480p signal to 540p or 1080i via a function called VirtualHD in the system menu. I have lived with this for about 3 years now and have been satisfied with my HD cable programming and regular cable programming, but I have always wanted my DVD viewing experience to be better. I have a cheap Phillips DVP642 progressive scan (480p only) player that I have been using to play my DVDs. Enough of the background though....

Will I see a significant increase in video quality if I upgrade my DVD player to an Oppo981 or some other similar 1080i capable player. What I mean is,....will the upscaling technology in the DVD player outperform my built-in Hitachi scaler? I don't want to purchase a new player if I am not going to see that much of an increase in performance.

Also, another question off topic of the DVD forum but similar to the above question. I am also purchasing a new AVR. Probably a Onkyo TX-SR604 or 605. The 605 supposedly has 720p upscaling over HDMI of component inputs. Is this worth it if my TV has it own scaler to 1080i?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
15,311 Posts
The scaler in a player is very likely better than that in your display, but the only way to know is to try a new player out (Oppo has a good return policy if you are not satisfied). You should also consider the Toshiba A2 HD-DVD player since not only does it upscale as well as the Oppo (for only a little more money), but it also plays HD-DVDs which will blow away any upscaled SD DVD. Netflix has all available HD-DVDs for rent, so you can enjoy without a significant $$ spend.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

You should also consider the Toshiba A2 HD-DVD player since not only does it upscale as well as the Oppo (for only a little more money), but it also plays HD-DVDs which will blow away any upscaled SD DVD. Netflix has all available HD-DVDs for rent, so you can enjoy without a significant $$ spend.

Indeed -- at only about $9 more the Oppo now and with 5 free HD-DVDs to boot, it really hard to resist (assuming you only care about region 1 DVDs)!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofoobar /forum/post/0

Indeed -- at only about $9 more the Oppo now and with 5 free HD-DVDs to boot, it really hard to resist (assuming you only care about region 1 DVDs)!!!

I did a quick search on on the Toshiba and could not find it less than $299 (Oppo is $229). I will purchase today if you can provide a link (probably get it anyway for $70 more, but I like to save money). Thanks.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafanatic /forum/post/0

Hello all,

I am in the process of doing a upgrade to my Home theater system. I need to get a new receiver and possibly a new DVD player. I am not interested in buying a HD DVD player yet, but I want to optimize my viewing experience for my extensive SDVD collection.

I own a Hitachi 65S500 CRT that is capable of max 1080i resolution. It has the capability of upscaling an 480i/480p signal to 540p or 1080i via a function called VirtualHD in the system menu. I have lived with this for about 3 years now and have been satisfied with my HD cable programming and regular cable programming, but I have always wanted my DVD viewing experience to be better. I have a cheap Phillips DVP642 progressive scan (480p only) player that I have been using to play my DVDs. Enough of the background though....

Will I see a significant increase in video quality if I upgrade my DVD player to an Oppo981 or some other similar 1080i capable player. What I mean is,....will the upscaling technology in the DVD player outperform my built-in Hitachi scaler? I don't want to purchase a new player if I am not going to see that much of an increase in performance.

Also, another question off topic of the DVD forum but similar to the above question. I am also purchasing a new AVR. Probably a Onkyo TX-SR604 or 605. The 605 supposedly has 720p upscaling over HDMI of component inputs. Is this worth it if my TV has it own scaler to 1080i?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

The Phillips 642 gets a pretty poor review here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0

I don't have a HD CRT myself, but I have noticed that many owners prefer interlaced signals for theirs. You might look at the Oppo 970 at $149 new, which has 480i over HDMI and a 1080i signal which (some have said) is better than that of the 971 and 981.

-Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/0

The Phillips 642 gets a pretty poor review here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0

I don't have a HD CRT myself, but I have noticed that many owners prefer interlaced signals for theirs. You might look at the Oppo 970 at $149 new, which has 480i over HDMI and a 1080i signal which (some have said) is better than that of the 971 and 981.

-Bill

I bought the Phillips because of its DivX/Xvid playback capability, but have since stopped watching movies in that format. I figured its video capability was subpar, but was looking for a cheap player that played numerous video codecs. Now I am more concerned about quality.

Just for clarity, my TV is a rear projection 65" CRT, not a standard CRT. I actually prefer the 720p broadcast of ESPN over most 1080i HD broadcasts. Especially for live sportscasts. Am I a minority with this opinion?

I have also considered the 970, but am concerned that I may want 1080p scaling if I purchase different TV (1080p capable) in the house later on. The price difference is about $70. The above mentioned Toshiba HD player sounds like a great value with its HD capability AND SDVD upscaling. Not to mention a rebate for 5 free HD-DVDs. Seems like a value.

Thanks again to all repliers.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafanatic /forum/post/0

I actually prefer the 720p broadcast of ESPN over most 1080i HD broadcasts. Especially for live sportscasts. Am I a minority with this opinion?

I was talking about DVD playback. Broadcast/cable/satelite have other issues.

-Bill

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does the HD-A2 upscale as well as the Oppo 981HD?

This is the first time I've heard someone claim that, and I'd really like to hear more on the subject. What about its deinterlacing performance?

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrarn /forum/post/0

Does the HD-A2 upscale as well as the Oppo 981HD?

This is the first time I've heard someone claim that, and I'd really like to hear more on the subject. What about its deinterlacing performance?

All of the Toshiba HD players have gotten good reviews (from reliable sources) for their SD-DVD playback. As to being better than the Oppo: some say yes, others no. When chooseing among the better players, we are getting into subtle subjective impressions, not night and day differences.

-Bill

·
Registered
15,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain /forum/post/0

All of the Toshiba HD players have gotten good reviews (from reliable sources) for their SD-DVD playback. As to being better than the Oppo: some say yes, others no. When chooseing among the better players, we are getting into subtle subjective impressions, not night and day differences.

-Bill

Agreed. You're talking about subtle differences here. My point is that with the HD-DVD players (unlike some of the BD players), you get excellent SD DVD capabilities so you're not sacrificing PQ for your large SD DVD collection. That being said, the A2 does have a noticeable layer change.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

Agreed. You're talking about subtle differences here. My point is that with the HD-DVD players (unlike some of the BD players), you get excellent SD DVD capabilities so you're not sacrificing PQ for your large SD DVD collection. That being said, the A2 does have a noticeable layer change.

Thanks you two. I think you pushed me off the fence, I'll nab the A2 off of Amazon when my paycheck hits on Thursday.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I have a Hitachi 51F59A, I'm not sure but I would imagine the scaler in your set is more similar to mine than not. I currently have a Toshiba dvd player that upscales through HDMI and I am borrowing my friend's Oppo 971 to test out as I am looking to upgrade. I have to say that 1080i into the Hitachi through either player doesn't look as good as the TV upsampling from 480p on either player. There is a substantial amount of noise compared to letting the TV upsample from 480p or even 720p. Upscaling to thr Hitachi doesn;t seem to look as nice as lettting the TV do it on it's own. I will say that the Oppo has pretty good video processing as moire and a few other artifacts are taken care of better than the Toshiba dvd player. Just my two cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts