AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question? i bought an Apogee HDMI switcher v1.3b full HD 1080p. highly regarded by CNET. my 42 Sony 720p only has 1 HDMI input. i just bought a Blu-Ray player.

can i plug my HD cable box(att uverse) and blu ray into switcher and then cable out into my tv? i never thought to ask this before i bought the switcher. i just wonder if the box will have any issues by not going directly into the tv.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,682 Posts
The way it's supposed to work is as you describe; run HDMI from both the Blu-ray and U-verse box into the switcher, and then run HDMI into the HDTV.

It should work, but in some cases the HDMI digital 'handshake' can be a problem. The only way to know is to try it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have been reading lately how component cables work just as well as HDMI when connecting cable stb to television. what is your experience with this? and if good, should i have just gone that route instead of buying a switcher and 2 additional hdmi cables? i could have just connected stb to tv component and blu-ray hdmi direct to tv.?

or if switcher does not work can i do this setup anyways if picture quality is good?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elykoj /forum/post/16975366

i have been reading lately how component cables work just as well as HDMI when connecting cable stb to television. what is your experience with this? and if good, should i have just gone that route instead of buying a switcher and 2 additional hdmi cables? i could have just connected stb to tv component and blu-ray hdmi direct to tv.?

or if switcher does not work can i do this setup anyways if picture quality is good?

Using my Zektor YPbPr switcher, measured ~1424 lines effective resolution to my new 1080p plasma from a DVRed HDNet resolution-wedge pattern (this technique ). A HDMI cable (high-end 9') output of the same HDNet pattern measured ~1335 lines.

So hooked up YPbPr cables for cable-STB viewing and used the HDMI cable for a new Blu-ray PS3 machine--although may buy Sony's PS3 special-plug YPbPr cable to see if also provides better resolution from the plasma . Couldn't really judge cable differences with motion-video images.-- John

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:

i could have just connected stb to tv component and blu-ray hdmi direct to tv.?

Sure. Try it that way for a while, then switch the connections around and try it that way for a while, to see how much difference component vs. HDMI makes in your setup. If there's no significant difference for you, why pay for a switchbox?

I use an HDMI switcher mainly because the single HDMI input and two component inputs on my TV aren't enough for all my HD source devices.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i did buy them through Monoprice. they are Category 2 . so i got the good ones. thing is i had to buy 6ft. HDMI cables but probably could have used 2ft. they were on backorder with no ETA. will 6ft be any issue?

the switcher i bought is a APOGEE 3x1 1.3v. HDMI from Amazon. CNET had great reviews on this item.

i just bought the JVC XV-BP1 Blu-Ray player. will i suffer any PQ loss running through this switcher?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elykoj /forum/post/16980319

i just bought the JVC XV-BP1 Blu-Ray player. will i suffer any PQ loss running through this switcher?

If it's not apparent comparing hookups and viewing motion video, try the resolution test patterns on test Blu-rays, or use the resolution patterns on Sony movie discs, accessible AIUI by entering SONY in the menu. Look for the grayout point on narrowing test-pattern wedges (or multibursts) and see which hookup delivers the best effective resolution. -- John

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason /forum/post/16980706

If it's not apparent comparing hookups and viewing motion video, try the resolution test patterns on test Blu-rays, or use the resolution patterns on Sony movie discs, accessible AIUI by entering SONY in the menu. Look for the grayout point on narrowing test-pattern wedges (or multibursts) and see which hookup delivers the best effective resolution. -- John

In english terms please....

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,682 Posts

Quote:

Yes, and yes.

Quote:

Yes.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Originally Posted by John Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by elykoj /forum/post/16982646

In english terms please....

As you read more AVS material, frequently used terms become easier to follow.

Using motion video, (any HD programming), you may not see significant differences between HDMI and component (YPbPr) hookups. AVSers often write they don't with this comparison technique.

But test patterns might show higher resolutions, better color, etc., is possible with either HDMI or YPbPr. Here, I found YPbPr provided somewhat more test-pattern resolution, so I'm using analog component cables from my cable STB instead of digital HDMI.

Sony Blu-ray movie discs have 'hidden' test patterns, accessed by this technique . One of the test patterns has resolution wedges, similar to those on HDNet's Saturday am patterns ; (search HD.net drop-down menus for "patterns" and schedules.)

The grayout point for vertical converging wedges, used to measure maximum horizontal resolution, is visible on that HDNet link above. It's the point where converging vertical B&W lines can no longer be individually resolved--they're too blurred. That point on HDNet's patterns has a number such as 8. That's multiplied by 100, so 800 is the maximum effective horizontal resolution expressed in lines per picture height. To find lines per 16X9 picture width, the full screen width, multiply by 1.78 X 800 = 1424 lines/PW. That's what I read from a DVRed HDNet pattern recorded from my Time Warner Cable. A similar Blu-ray wedge pattern might provide a different reading. A few AVSers report reading close to the full-format 1920X1080 lines from HDNet (or Blu-rays).

Multiburst test patterns are just a series of blocks or lines with gradually narrower spacings. Figure 1 in this pdf paper shows the multibursts projected on movie theater screens during an international test. (Consultant Matt Cowan's pdf paper also discusses these test results.) Recently bought this Blu-ray test disc that has a multiburst frame, although unfortunately the bursts aren't numbered. Threads in the calibration forum here discuss other test discs in detail.

Yesterday, in this post , I outlined more about resolution testing, with some authoritative reference sublinks. -- John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts