AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting my PC out of the living room and just using the 360 as an extender once I get Windows 7 in October. From what I've read, 7 supports more codecs through the extender. What I'm looking at is being able to play divx/xvid/mkv through my 360 extender as these are what pretty much all of my videos are ripped as. Will this function as I'm hoping it will? Thank you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The xbox 360 can play xvid and divx fine (with 5.1 audio)provided the file size is less than 2gb. You'll have to transcode you're mkvs to get them to play. Look for a program called MakeMKV. It will remux the mkv's video at full quality into a mp4 container ( that the xbox can play) and transcode the audio down to 2 channel.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
No need to put the mkv's in an MP4 container. WIN7 will transcode them so the 360 can play them. All the 360 plays natively is DVR-MS files (mpeg2) or mpeg4 in an AVI container with AC3 audio. Everything else is transcoded on the fly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I didn't realize that. Will Win7 downgrade the audio or video?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Does the Win7 transcoding work with all extenders, or just the 360? I know the 360 is the most versatile extender on the market, but I have some reservations about using them housewide (power, noise, etc).

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-dogg /forum/post/17015321

Does the Win7 transcoding work with all extenders, or just the 360? I know the 360 is the most versatile extender on the market, but I have some reservations about using them housewide (power, noise, etc).

win7 will transcode WTV (or just compress the MPEG2) for playback on a PS3. I can't control the TV shows, but they play.

·
Registered
254 Posts
funny, as I'm running the system you describe...PC in office upstairs, 360 near TV....I hate it....as the transcoding is horrible either takes 2-4 hours on the PC and looks just "OK" motion choppy, or "live" streaming is even worse....that's on an old 48" Mitsubishi 1080i rear projection....

I'm setting up a 110" screen/proj, I'm round and round with the "player" tween a Linux/Windows HTPC, the 360 (not likely), and reading about a "streamer" like xSteamer or WDTV. even thinkingy maybe a modded old XBOX with Linux/XBMC

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabagboy /forum/post/17015840

funny, as I'm running the system you describe...PC in office upstairs, 360 near TV....I hate it....as the transcoding is horrible either takes 2-4 hours on the PC and looks just "OK" motion choppy, or "live" streaming is even worse....that's on an old 48" Mitsubishi 1080i rear projection....

I'm setting up a 110" screen/proj, I'm round and round with the "player" tween a Linux/Windows HTPC, the 360 (not likely), and reading about a "streamer" like xSteamer or WDTV. even thinkingy maybe a modded old XBOX with Linux/XBMC

Yeah, and with a 110" screen, Xbox-quality video will probably no longer fit your needs.....

·
Registered
254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/17016457

Yeah, and with a 110" screen, Xbox-quality video will probably no longer fit your needs.....

agree, that's why I'm hanging around here again...looking for my options....

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabagboy /forum/post/17018914

agree, that's why I'm hanging around here again...looking for my options....

Heh heh....its a good place to hang....for sure! Addicting though....

·
Registered
595 Posts
For live tv streaming doesnt the xbox 360 have really good quality? (and only extenders can stream live tv)

Best option may be to have an xbox 360 for streaming of live tv if you need it and a pc for other media playback. kinda expensive and annoying but probably the least amount of headaches.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemist1117 /forum/post/17025670

For live tv streaming doesnt the xbox 360 have really good quality? (and only extenders can stream live tv)

Best option may be to have an xbox 360 for streaming of live tv if you need it and a pc for other media playback. kinda expensive and annoying but probably the least amount of headaches.

How/why would I stream live TV to an Xbox? it doesn't have a tuner card? I think the quality is pretty awful if it needs to be transcoded from another source.....

I intended to use my AT&T Uverse box for live TV

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
xboxes act as extenders for windows media center pcs. the quality is as good as on the htpc because there is no transcoding - it plays the file natively.

it uses the tuner(s) in the htpc, so no tuner is required on the xbox.

all in all, the system works very well, with a few limitations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

Wanted to extend this conversation a bit if I could. I'm also working on putting together a PC that will stream music and video to my 360 and HDTV. I'm not considering a tuner card at this time (no cable), but what are some of the other key hardware concerns for obtaining high quality streaming?

Which tasks are handled by the PC and which tasks by the 360? Should I focus more on processing and memory in the PC, since the console is handling the video, or do I need a killer GPU (additionally, will a gaming card work, or are there premium AV cards)? Is a speedy hdd important? Are there special NIC's/routers for streaming? How much cooling?

I've built a few PC's before, though mostly for gaming or budget stuff for family. I just want to put together a decent rig that will be fairly futureproof. Budget is about 650 bucks and I already have a case.

sorry about the newb onslaught, but i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the media extender thing.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
the "quality" of the streaming will depend on the quality of the material being streamed. crappy youtube videos will still look crappy on the extender. high quality xvids and hd material look great. the extender looks just like the main pc.

all the pc does is send packets to the extender, therefore it does very little work and doesn't need to be powerful. the bit rates are very low, as the xbox only has a fast ethernet interface. the video card is irrelevant.

transcoding is a different story if you go that route. then you want a fast, cpu.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts